Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was looking to mount my suppressor on my JM Marlin (1980's) vintage 336 in 30-30.

After looking into mounting it to the 20" 336, the overall length will be a little long. I have pretty much decided that cutting or even threading a good shooting JM Marlin down to a 16" barrel is just not right, they don't make them anymore.

I may just sell it to fund a Remlin 336Y as they can be had for $350. I would then send the Remlin off to have it threaded for the suppressor to a guy with a 4-jaw chuck lathe and not feel bad about modifying a Remlin.

To make it work, I need a couple dimensions.
1. What is the distance from the end of the muzzle to the end of the magazine tube?
2. What is the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle end?

These are critical to find out if enough barrel meat is there to thread and if the threads have enough setback before crashing into the mag tube.

Why am I doing this? Well, it will be a little better than single shot handi rifle thanks to lever action, and be quieter than a semi-auto with subsonic loads due to closed action. Also, I can work up a bunch of different loads and types without trying to get a semi-auto action to cycle. When I go hunting, the blast from a 16" barrel will be almost hearing safe, except for the sonic crack. Should be fun.
I was going to build a 300 BLK AR-15, but decided one AR-15 in my life was enough.

Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Here ya go, Just measure mine --

Barrel diameter at muzzle: .626"

Magazine tube from muzzle: .443"

Front sight from muzzle: .410"

Front siight base length: 1.765"

Magazine tube band from muzzle: 2.365"

Reactions: Tomray

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the dimensions.
Dang, the diameter of the muzzle at .626" is just not enough. There needs to be about .725" diameter barrel to leave enough shoulder for the suppressor to index up to.

Here ya go, Just measure mine --

Barrel diameter at muzzle: .626"

Magazine tube from muzzle: .443"

Front sight from muzzle: .410"

Front siight base length: 1.765"

Magazine tube band from muzzle: 2.365"

·
Premium Member
11,172 Posts
cpy911,

Maybe you can fabricate a Threaded Washer to provide you the needed shoulder?

Tom

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Or a small internally and externally threaded collar with a shoulder machined in. (Think one-half of a minute cable spool). You are likely to loose the ability to use the issue factory iron sights anyway.

Reactions: Tomray

·
Premium Member
11,172 Posts
Or a small internally and externally threaded collar with a shoulder machined in. (Think one-half of a minute cable spool). You are likely to loose the ability to use the issue factory iron sights anyway.

GOOD IDEA!......................NO!...................BETTER IDEA!

Tom

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wondered what was behind the question you asked on my gunbroker auction

1 - 11 of 11 Posts