Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Had a feller drop me off two 783 Rem to go over just looking at them quick they scream X7 from bolt head to barrel trigger , Next week if I get feeling better I will Give you all a full report . Hope You all had a Great summer and are all getting ready for the Hunt DD

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yea the ejection port and the mag are the only difference I see. At a glance the triggers are identical. I handled a 783 in a store and the finish was poor compared to my X7. I'll looked forward to your report.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is what I found . all in all It is a very solid little gun to build on , It has the same threads as Savage & Marlin Great stock pillars the same bolt as Marlin Enjoy DD

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cool Dan. Thanks for the great photos. So it looks like I'm correct in that its the same trigger different name? Those pillars actually look better. My X7 has about 1/8" inch contact with the front pillars (something I may fix soon) and those look better. Do you think barrels are from the same plant/machines? Mine X7 (7mm-08) is accurate enough but fouls some. It's fairly new so I hope that improves as I shoot it more.

Thanks again for all the info!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Also, what's with the ugly bolt knob? It doesn't do it for me.

Also, I like your jig for lug alignment...makes me think we may need to redo ours.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sure the Barrels are same same The Only difference is the Crown and the name on the side of the barrel

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Also; Rem 783 has a round top receiver and takes Remington scope bases (not Marlins Flat Winchester Bases) and Flat Vs Gloss blue finish

Great Work as always DD!
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a great Point RF What is Cool about this little gun is the receiver port opening is very small like the Savage Target action , The Axis looks like it but it is relieved in the recoil lug and it ***** on the receiver witch is a bad thing . I will fill in some blanks when I build the next six of them I have setting ready to get the Old Dangerous Dan's Makeover DD

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
How is the bluing compaired to marlins? Looks better on the remington, that was one of my beefs with my old xs7 (short action not stainless).

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
Keep us posted Dan.
I wonder what this means for the future of the X-rifles now that the Remington mothership has cloned them?

·
Registered
146 Posts
The ones I've handled are not blued, but a paint (similar to SPS finish) and it seemed thin to me. Maybe they've improved...I haven't handled one in almost a year.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Finish Is Better in My eyes It is Ruff Matt Not cheapo one coat Blue , Much like the Tactical coatings on some Remington's and Savage Rifles . I would say the X Gun is safe as long as the sales keep up they both have good and Bad . I was looking and noticed That Boyd's has Varmint thumbholes and the Tacacool for the 783 in long and short action drive some pillars in them Bed them and You would be good to go hope it helps DD

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just handled one again today (they're $200 at Sportsman's) and the finish is fairly good. Doesn't appear that they have the pressure points like the X7. I'll say I was tempted!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yea..I'm sure shooting my X7 tomorrow will help cure that itch. So am I correct, DD, there are no pressure pads on the end of the 783 stock?

·
Registered
146 Posts
So do all marlins have this lack or gap of threads on the barrel? I've not pulled one a part yet to know. If they're all that way, any ideas as to why?

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
None of the original pre-Remington Marlins have any missing threads and only the post move XS7 had gaps like that in the threads. I don't know if that was only immediately following the factory move or it still continues. I'm sure that Dan has taken apart some more recent production ones and could answer that question.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Great thread. Speaking of threads... are those gaps a regular thing?
You can Search Dangerous Dan's threads as he had a couple on the missing threads that appeared on the Remington Marlin XS-7 line. He also stated he would not use them or sell them since they were missing threads. So you will have to ask him directly if he has changed his mind since that time as of the usability of the Barrels missing threads.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts