Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the beginning. Bought my 1895SBL in October last year. First time out rifle shot about 4 feet low at 100 yards with the scope adjustments centered and several different loads. In an attempt to find out what the heck was wrong I turned to this forum and found out I was not the only one with this problem. On 12/23/10 I sent the rifle to Williams Gunsight in Michigan. They are an authorized repair center. Fast forward – I get the rifle back a few weeks ago. I called Williams Gunsight because a scope and rings I sent with the rifle was not returned, no problem, they send it right back and I have the scope a few days later. While on the phone with them I have the opportunity to talk with a gunsmith there and he told me they sent the rifle back to Remington three times before it was properly repaired. He told me the third time they asked for a specific person to repair the rifle and well, she did repair it correctly. The repair order that came with the rifle said the barrel was realigned. I have to admit I was very skeptical and I can’t see any obvious signs of what exactly was done to the rifle but today I finally got to shoot it and it is right on target and I got fantastic groups. I am really pleased it all worked out and want to give credit to Remington and especially Williams Gunsight for making it right. Also I wanted to pass on my experience that perhaps instead of sending a rifle directly to the manufacturer for repair, having a shop like Williams Gunsight advocating on my behalf apparently saved me a lot of headaches. Looking forward to deer season again!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good to hear you were able to get things straightened out and I hope the rifle gives you many years of trouble free service.
I picked up an 1895SBL Friday of last week that I had ordered about a week before. I just got off the phone with customer service about sending me a return shipping label which they are going to email and said I should have it in less than 24 hours. I asked the Rep. how a rifle in this condition could have left the factory to begin with and they (Sarah) had no answer for me. It really chaps me to have to go to the trouble of driving the 11 miles round trip to UPS to return something that should never have shipped in this condition to begin with. To top that off the box it came in says that if this carton is to be used as an individual shipping container it must be reinforced so I guess I will have to come up with some cardboard as well....sheeeeesh! I hope I get the correct person to repair my rifle without sending it back three times.
Is there any way you could inquire as to who the repair person was and PM me with that info.
I would be very grateful for your time but I understand if it is not possible

·
Registered
846 Posts
Good Luck Harry! I know I shouldn't vent but this is the Rant Forum! as You have probably read on Marlin owners of problems that some [a lot} of Us have had with the new Marlins. I sent my 338 MX back end of December because of limp barrel syndrome and haven't seen it since! So take a picture of it so you will have something to remind You of what it looked like because it mite be a long time before You if ever see it again.Dennis

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks stykbow57. I sent the rifle back Wednesday. I hope it does not take that long but there's not much I can do if it does I guess. I just hope they fix it right.

One good thing did come of all this: I have a decent collection of Firearms I would say maybe 50 or 60 over half of which are pistols but I don't have any Marlins and in fact I have never shot a Marlin. After browsing around here at M.O. on the various forums I see that people that have them love them and I figure they must have made pretty darn good rifles so I am now in the process of trying to find a nice used rifle. I am leaning toward a 45-70 in something with a longer barrel maybe 22" or 24" or the Idea of a 338 interests me as well. At any rate I'm exited at the prospect of having one of these fine rifles that so many folks here love.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi Green,
You said earlier that Williams had to ask for a specific person to repair your rifle, ok that's one employee, that is good, only about a thousand now to improve.
One is better than than none. (I am looking on the bright side).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting..............they seemed concerned and competent as could be on mine there at the factory. I feel it's in good hands. I really have no choice I suppose anyway. My new marlins seem to have potential. I'm working on a couple of them also.............. :p

This forum is great

1 - 6 of 6 Posts