Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a Ranger O/U # 103-11, 16 gauge with double triggers, closed between the barrels, white butt plate spacer, bulls eye underside of the stock, 90% or better blueing, checkered walnut stock in fine condition. The bores are very good and shiny.
The receiver is very shiny also, almost like silver plated, I have not seen this before, but I have not seen many model 90s. Is this normal?? The trigger guard is kind of purple.
The Marlin number 103-11 is on the left side of the barrel, and under the receiver is the number 41XX with a letter above the number, the letter was not fully stamped, it looks like the top of the letter B with the bottom missing, or maybe the top of the letter P, it is not large enough to be the letter D.
Would like any comments, information, ideas, and questions about the gun, I would like to pinpoint the year of manufacture if I can. Also would like to know if anyone else has one like it, looking forward to hearing from you guys.
Thanks,
Farmboy

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Marlin made the Ranger for Sears. That would put it between 1937-1941. Being it's a 16ga it's a little more sought after with the .410's bringing good money.. The later model 90's had no rib between the barrels. Checkering on these I believe was special order, but could be wrong. I can't tell you about the reciever, but I thought they were all blue. I had a 12ga Ranger Mod 90, but sold it. Here's a schematic of a mod 90 ST (single trigger) it may help with disassembly. http://stevespages.com/ipb-marlin-st90.html

If you search through the shotgun section you can find other info like what chokes you have and I believe the front trigger fired the top barrel, but with double triggers you could choose which choke you wanted to shoot. Each barrel had a different choke. My 12 was mod over full.

There are some very knowledgable people in the shotgun section post something over there! Thats where I learned about my Mod 90 DT.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the stock and forearm on this Ranger is checkered, and it is walnut. Like you, I have never seen a receiver like this one.
I have a Marlin model 90 in 12 gauge, made in 1947 that is open between the barrels, the receiver is blued, thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The letter above the serial number on the bottom of the receiver is more likely an "R" indicating a Ranger. After the WWII, Sears used the JC Higgins name.

I also have a 12 ga. Model 90 made in 1947 that is open between the barrels. Hoverver, I have a 16 ga Model 90 made in 1947 that is closed. It was 1949 before Marlin made all of their Model 90's with open barrels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts