Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have been waiting for the new 1895XLR Marlins to reach the distributors. Marlin told me that they have been in production all month and should be available within the next 30-45 days. I had my heart set on this firearm, however, I keep being told that the Marlins will not be the same because Remington now owns them. People are telling me that the gun quality will not be that of the older Marlins. Such comments have made me second guess my purchase. Does anyone own any of the "Remlins" as people keep calling them? How are they? At 800 bucks, I am passing on a brand new Tikka T3 because I love the thought of owning a lever action. If anyone can comment, please do. Thank you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Be sure you can look, see, touch and feel, before laying down your hard earned dollars. From some posts on here there seems to be a ray of hope that quality control is improving but some questionable guns still seem to be on dealers shelves.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
lbk454 said:
Be sure you can look, see, touch and feel, before laying down your hard earned dollars. From some posts on here there seems to be a ray of hope that quality control is improving but some questionable guns still seem to be on dealers shelves.
+1...good advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gun should be right off the production line according to the Marlin representative I spoke with, so I would imagine that it would be a batch of their newest made guns. All of the gun shops including the Bass Pro in my area want me to pay for the gun before they will order it to the store (Bass Pro only asks for 1/3 payment). I really have no way of handling it first unless I wait however many months for the shops to get them from the distributors(which I don't want to do as it will be my first gun purchase). This all being said, should I go out on a limb and just ask for a refund if the gun is crap?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
IF it is crap when you get it, they will fix it. Turnaround times have been long, but that should be changing too.

Most (but not all) issues are minor enough that they can be dealt with right here if you don't want to send it back...there are more than a few guys here that can talk most people through minor repairs (The Marlin action is pretty simple)

Buy your 1895...the worst that can happen is you have to send it back, its a long time before hunting season opens again anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually have an update! I just came across an 1895 XLR in 45/70 government with JP on the barrel and not REP. Does this mean that it's one of the good ones?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Renegade87 said:
I actually have an update! I just came across an 1895 XLR in 45/70 government with JP on the barrel and not REP. Does this mean that it's one of the good ones?
It means Marlin made the barrel :)...Marlin's quality has been a little "hit or miss" for several years. There are threads on this around here somewhere (a specific post by M700 comes to mind)

The only way to know for sure if the rifle is as it should be (regardless of what is stamped on the gun)...is to handle it, cycle ammo through it, and shoot it.

I'm not trying to sound "gruff"...but that is the simple truth of it the best I can tell it. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhh :( :(
I was hoping that meant it was one of the New Haven made Marlins and not a Remington one. Either way, I'm buying it for 699.99 and I'm going to see how it goes.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Renegade87 said:
Ahhh :( :(
I was hoping that meant it was one of the New Haven made Marlins and not a Remington one. Either way, I'm buying it for 699.99 and I'm going to see how it goes.
AWESOME!!!

Keep us posted....and Welcome to Marlin Owners!!! (I should have said that a long time ago ;D)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Renegade87 said:
LOL thanks buddy! Better than no welcome at all! ;D That was a good thread there you linked and I absolutely get the gist of it. I just pray that mine isn't like this one when I get it. :-\

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,86568.0.html

I am, however, a glass half full kind of guy.
On this forum rifles like that seem all too common...and they do happen (sadly)

But you have to remember the number one rule of gun forums...and that is, "You never hear anybody complaining about the good ones"...I'd be willing to bet that there are more good ones than bad ;)

With over 20,000 members...there is bound to be a few lemons that will show up among them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very true. Thank you for your positivity. I am really psyched because I haven't been able to find one of these anywhere! I will post pics as soon as I get it (should be about a week).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you I have an 1895 sbl on order and according to remlin/marlington they should be hitting the stores in april. I keep saying to myself that they will fix the problems. according to the person I talked to at remington they shut down production for a few weeks to deal with the quality control issues which is why they have been so scarce that and the plant changeover. Remington bought marlin to make money if they don't correct the issues the company will fold and they dont want that anymore that we want bad rifles. I think they will get it right and if not they will warranty it. I haven't heard many complaints about the warranty work and actually I've heard some real good things. sounds like turn around time is about a month.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Skmarsh, I hope you get a good one friend! I do believe all will be well in the end. If I get a "lemon", I'll just either have them fix it, have them replace it, or get a refund and by myself a bolt action :'(. But I'm confident it will be ok, I've seen loads and loads of pictures of beautiful SBL's and XLR's that people just rave about and are in love with. Happy hunting and thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
I hope you guys get good ones!

Am a firm believer in putting my mitts on a rifle before laying out cash. Even that doesn't always tell the story - I got a beautiful .25-06 Win Model 70 once, that wouldn't group worth a darn! Turns out the barrel was shot and it needed bedding in a bad way... Sigh, a project rifle when I wanted one that was ready to hunt.

Last time I bought a new Marlin was about five years ago, and that 1895 was a real peach! Worked well, although a little rough at first, and commendably accurate.

I was in a pretty silly mood when I started that post... But I'm glad I did it! ;D

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
M700 said:
I was in a pretty silly mood when I started that post... But I'm glad I did it! ;D

Regards, Guy
It is a good one...and should probably be a sticky IMO (to serve as a reminder)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts