Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just reading some info on this sight and had to join up. I have used Marlin lever guns for 40 years and enjoyed them all. I have owned my own gun shop, and do firearm appraisals along with collecting. I recently picked up a part time at sportsman's at the gun counter a filler job and probably handled 30 to 40 new marlins that have come thru the store, I do not think they even should be used as a car jack. Wood finish, checkering, bluing and metal finish are terrible and I have a cut on my hand from steel burrs from the action. The stainless guide guns we got in a few days ago look like they are already used guns with tool marks on the receiver finish. I would not trust one of these guns in bush Alaska ever, and have heard from friends that have them about jamming problems. It is a sad day when people feel lucky that they got a gun that works. Sorry for the rant. I have two JM stainless 45/70 guide guns I am parting with do to a shoulder problem and am stepping down to my 444. what is a fair asking price for the guide guns in 98% condition. Thanks

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks that is about what I had in mind. I am also wondering if the marlin model 39a mid fifty's era ever came factory direct with a scope and bent hammer. I have one with a Weaver J 2.5 with a Redfield and bent hammer that I was told was a factory package. I have my doubts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome to MO, your clear dislike for the Remlins makes it obvious you'll fit in around here!

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Banned
36 Posts
I have just bought a new 336C, plenty of grain in the walnut sock, the blueing is polished and deep and the action is very smooth. The checkering does look a bit sad though, but I can live with that. May be I was just lucky eh!

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you're here -- when you get the required 25 posts, be sure to list your 45-70 here on Marlin Owners! John

·
Super Moderator
16,613 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee! I agree on the value of your rifles. My 39A was made in 1955 and it has never had a scope on it, but one could be easily mounted on it. I enjoyed your opinion of the Remlin rifles, and I hope they will improve the quality of their products. There have been some recent ones that are nice, but its a crap shoot finding that right one. We're glad to have you aboard!

Ron

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

Reactions: north65

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Welcome from the Alegheny Mountains of Central PA!

Pull up a chair and make yourself at home. You're in the right place!

The debacle that is Remington attempting to manufacture Marlins is disgusting. Maybe some other holding company will come along and buy them out. Apparently, Remington can't make quality guns anymore.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do not want to give up on the Remington name for quality so I hope you are right. This happened to both Winchester with Olin and Smith with I think Bangor Punta. If enough people rally for Marlin and Remington quality someone with deep pockets will take on the challenge and restore both good names. Let's keep our trigger fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.