Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into the Marlin 1895G for a couple weeks now. This will be my first Marlin and I'm a little hesitant because of the things I have heard since they got bought out by Remington. Has the quality gotten better since? I put a Marlin 1895G on layaway this weekend. Has the 18.5" barrel, big loop lever action, and 6+1 tube. I glanced over everything and all looked well. But after some research I'm going to go back and take a closer look at the chamber, ejection port, barrel, and front sight. If anyone has any info on their current quality or a link to it that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Make sure you can work the action. Check fit and finish of the stocks, canted sights, potential receiver cracking problem (I believe this one has been resolved; check anyway), barrel crown, basically don't take possession of the rifle until you are satisfied with it.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
That would be used by now, right? Or are there still new ones being sold with that stamp?
Definitely would be used and they are out there. Take a look on Gunbroker, and keep an eye on the for sale here on MO. That being said the current Remington made Marlins are better for sure, still take some dummy ammo and cycle it. That's after a thorough visual inspection. Good Luck!

·
Administrator
27,450 Posts
toweltrick, welcome to Marlin Owners. Remington made Marlins have improved but they're not JM's. Adding to some good posts above, make sure the lock up is good. I've seen a good number where it wasn't.

If it were me I'd buy a JM.

Jack

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys. I will be sure to look it over next weekend before I finalize anything. I've seen a couple comparison videos and its easy to see the guns aren't like what they used to be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Biased opinion here, but the Freedom Group guns are better. They had a rough couple of years while Remington tried to use worn-out tooling and decrepit equipment (one story I read said Rem couldn't find a calibrated micrometer in the plant?) but lets face it, Marlin couldn't manage thier company anymore and if not for FG and Remington, there would be no Marlin today.

This found on another forum: RugerForum.com ? View topic - Question about Marlin's JM stamp about the misunderstood "JM" in oval stamp.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I feel the new Marlins are getting a bad rap, mostly by people that refuse to try them.
JM stamped Marlins are WAY over priced and some of those have problems as well.
i would say check one out at your local gunshop and look it over to make sure the sites aren't canted.
Check to make sure the wood fits nicely to the metal.
If these are fine, then the rest of the rifle should be as well.
Actions are stiff, but that due to CNC machining tolerances being tight.
I own 3 of the new Marlins, and 1 JM stamped 1895. The JM stamped Cowboy has terrible rifling and won't shoot a dozen properly sized cast and gas checked bullets without leading badly, though it does awesome with jacketed.
I don't have any issues with shooting cast bullets out of my 3 new Marlins.
And yes, I was one of the few people that purchased a newer Marlin that had a cracked receiver.
Hope this somewhat unbiased opinion helps.
My .02.

CPL Lou

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought an 1895G last March then, unaware of the issue, found the front sight canted. Cabela's sent it back to Marlin and they replaced the barrel. Other than that, I have no problems other than a slightly stiff trigger, and I can take care of that myself. All in all I am pleased with the rifle particularly at its price point. Maybe it would be nice to have a JM, but I'm happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its nice to see that not everyone is bad mouthing them lol. I know there are people that are stuck on the original product and will always talk bad of current stuff. While looking over the rifle I honestly didn't even notice anything. I aimed down the sights a few times and didn't notice anything wrong there. I will look closer at it though and also of the fitting of the wood.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I came back from deer hunting with some extra cash. My son took over my early mod JM guide gun. So I went to the my local Gun Store, and promptly bought a new Remlin Guide Gun. Its really nice, good wood to metal, staight sights, it was little stiff but I have taken care of that. I refinnished the stocks to go along with the real nice blueing also. I havn't shot it yet but will soon, the rifling looks great. Can't make up my mind if I want to scope it or not. All in all I'm pleased with the new Remlin.

barracudadave67

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Toweltrick-
I purchased an 1895g recently, and perhaps I am just lucky, but I found no flaws with mine at all, even upon complete takedown. I have cycled 5 different types of ammo through it, with no feed or ejection problems of any type. The barrel numbers on mine indicate it was made in September. So perhaps Remington is getting their act together

Reactions: CPL Lou

·
Administrator
27,450 Posts
Biased opinion here, but the Freedom Group guns are better. They had a rough couple of years while Remington tried to use worn-out tooling and decrepit equipment (one story I read said Rem couldn't find a calibrated micrometer in the plant?) but lets face it, Marlin couldn't manage thier company anymore and if not for FG and Remington, there would be no Marlin today.

This found on another forum: RugerForum.com ? View topic - Question about Marlin's JM stamp about the misunderstood "JM" in oval stamp.
Rather than reading stories filled with false narratives geared to provide Remington an excuse for their misguided management decisions and horrendous production quality, you might wish to go through the Rant Forum and read up. We have a few members who worked at North Haven and directly experienced what took place and why many dealers rejected the Marlins Remington was producing.

The stories of worn out MFG equipment is pure hogwash. Ask KON or Tomray about it, you'll get an ear full of the truth, not misinformation and conjecture. And the fact is that Marlin was a healthy profitable company producing a high quality firearms before FG buy out. The false narrative that Marlin couldn't manage their company is pure nonsense.

If you're interested in the truth, take some time and read through a bunch of the earlier threads in the Rant Forum, it's all there.

Jack

·
Registered
462 Posts
I know this is heracy on this forum, but do yourself a favor and check out the steel Henry. Very nice. There's a 44mag carbine in my future.

·
Super Moderator
24,437 Posts

Sorry--but you got some bad info there. You will get the whole story here on MO. I would read posts by KON or Tomray--they worked at the CT Marlin plant before and during the buyout. They know the real deal and won't feed you the crap that the gun rags regurgitate to please their Remington sponsors.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts