Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Everyone:

Well for some time now, I've been kicking around local gun dealers, looking online and even resorted to calling all my hunting buddies....but I'm having a really hard time finding an acceptable Marlin that is for sale, that wasn't manufactured before the Remington takeover. Taking the advice of many of you kind folks, I didn't jump the gun (sorry) to order a new Marlin without seeing it first. The examples I have been able handle locally, although weren't stricly horrible, weren't too darned great either. I almost threw caution to the winds when I got a great delivery deal from a different province, but I can't seem to get past the recurring statements I read of poor workmanship and ongoing problems. If I could find a good one, I'd buy it....but so far, no luck. It seems, at least locally (here in Nova Scotia), that anyone who has a good one, is holding on to it. I'm considering 30.30, .35 and the 45-70 as possible candidates...so I don't think my search field is too narrow. Hopefully, my luck changes soon. If anyone has had good luck with the newer rifles, I'd like to hear from you. If they have gotten better in recent years, I may have to re-evaluate my decision not to purchase a newer one.

Thanks all!

Shawn

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
they do seem to be markedly improved over the last year or so...and, they were never "all bad" but an inspection is in order if possible...

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts
Treat the purchase of a new one like the purchase of a used one. Check it over twice. Check EVERYTHING over twice. That includes minor things that you might gloss over at first glance. Take a dummy round or two with you if you have them available. Load it in the tube and rack it into the chamber, twice. Check the sight alignment.

They aren't all bad but some of them are. Things you can fix don't sweat over like a boogered screw head, a slightly gritty action, or slightly proud wood to metal fit. Things like canted dovetailed sights aren't easily fixed.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and rlm1

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts