Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about ya'll, but I'm ready for a .22 Mag lever action rifle....styled more like a full bodied 336 than a model 39. I've got the 9422 Winchester thing....but I like Marlin styling, and besides, the 9422 still looks a bit tinker toyish when carried by my 6'+ frame....feels small too.

It would be nice to be able to interchange barrels from .22 mag to .17 HMR...shouldn't be too hard to design.

And, I know Henry is out there....but I just don't like the receiver design on those...heck..this is the Marlin Owners board and I just plain prefer Marlin styling.

So...whadda ya'll think...time for a new one?

Have A Great Day,
Ken

If we can keep this thread going a fraction of the length of the "Shawnee" thread, then maybe Marlin will consider it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think you have a good idea with interchangeable barrels. I think the 39 action is to short for a 22mag. or a 17HRM.
Now the new 17 mach2 might work OK. It takes the same size action as the 22LR and just might work.. It may be something Marlin will play with even if they don't make it. Good thinking.
>>Tombstone

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
That would be neat but I doubt if Marlin will bite on the idea. They tried the M-1894 22WMR and it was a dud -up until they quit making them that is, then they became desirable. Interchangable barrels on a tubular feed gun would get messy, in an engineering sense. If Marlin were to do anything with a 17HMR it would have to be a resurrection of the 1894. Most people though, won't tolerate that heavy of a rifle in such a limited caliber. ~Andrew

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I didn't care for the straight stock. And it might be a dud, no doubt, but there is a market out there for a lever action WMR. Henry makes 'em and so does Winchester....Marlin will just have to build a better one.

Now I know what ya'll said about interchangeable barrels being messy, and it would take a bit of work, but as a concept for new "big" rimfire round (a.k.a. magnum, whether .22 or .17) it outha' fly. The actions for the .17 HMR are virtually identical to the .22 WMR in their other rifles and should be in this one too....the only real difference being barrel, chamber and throat of the barrel where the bullet engages.....I'm thinking this because my 9422 XTR throws shorts, longs, long rifles, cb longs, and even digests those 6 MM cb and bb caps. So...since the .17 HMR shares a parent case (reformed for the bullet, of course) with the .22 WMR....then grabbing the base and throwing the bullet into the chamber should not be a problem. Whaddya' think?

Problem would be making money on it....but a basic redesign that would sell the .17 HMR should be able to financially piggy back a .22 WMR....now I know the interchangeable barrel might not fly.....but everything but the barrel could be designed to work equally well with the .17 or the .22.

G

·
I have a 1894M which is Marlin's old 22mag . All you have to do I believe is find one of those and rebarrel to 17HMR. And if you want a 17MII all you have to do is get a 39A and rebarrel. I would like one of each myself but like you would prefer them being made at the factory :?

·
Registered
246 Posts
This topic here is exactly one of the reasons why I'm here.
Also if it is from 2004 the problem is still the same.

At the moment there is only one Brand producing a .17 HMR lever action Rifle (as far as I know),
and for my opinion it is in a very poor design and processing.

I would love to see a new Marlin Model in .17 HMR with a good Pistol grip like a 336W Model in 30/30.
If this Rifle would have a big lever, a tubular magazine who is as long as the barrel and a little scope in a package, it would top everything else around.

And I'm pretty sure Marlin would sell this like candy in a school.
What do you think?!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts