Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the factory still sell the barrel wrench for the Marlin Papoose? I picked one up used and there isn't a wrench with it.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Wrench??? Gee, I always thought that was a hand-tighten proposition, kinda like my AR-7.
Guess one learns something new everyday!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes I called Customer Service today as a matter of fact...for that reason..

Wrench??? Gee, I always thought that was a hand-tighten proposition, kinda like my AR-7.
Guess one learns something new everyday!
Yes they say they have them, through Marlin they are $12 dollars and change...I lost mine..don't know how, I keep that wrench in the "floating" bag and never ever have I left it out after using it...
Cynergyzed
:hmmmm:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I heat-fitted a 5" piece of PVC over the barrel nut on my Papoose and just give it a good hand-twist to tighten it. I haven't used the barrel wrence since then and the nut seems to stay snug. I do check it every few magazines while shooting.

My problem is getting the barrel off after shooting. The nut loosens up no problem, but the barrel to receiver is a really close fit, and after the barrel heats up it can be tough getting it apart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never unwrapped the barrel wrench since I bought my Papoose, as I see no need for it. My rifle shoots just fine after hand tightening the barrel.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I've never unwrapped the barrel wrench since I bought my Papoose, as I see no need for it. My rifle shoots just fine after hand tightening the barrel.
I'm with you on that, but I've also come to realize that there are a fair amount of folks with missing fingers/low hand strength...
we got a lot of Vets out there, and they need the proper tools to get things done :)

Plus, some of those rusty old Papoose's haven't been cleaned since they were originally bought...and it takes a wrench to remove the barrel the first time ;)

Most of us Marlinites would never let a Papoose get nasty, or fail to clean a rifle before selling it,
but there are a buncha scumbags out there who will...and that's where we get great deals at pawn shops/yard sales/gun shows ;)
Which means we get to do the cleanup...but end up with a great rifle afterwards!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts