Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Marlin No 20-A that I am cleaning up to shoot. The bore is great and shiny and everything works well. The only problem I am having is trying to replace the wood forend and screws, Numrich does not list them and Jack First did not have any when I called. I know that the forend was the same on other Marlin rifles also. Mine is an octagon barrel with a ribbed forend. Any help in locating the forend would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
TRK

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Welcome from Texas

Reactions: Renokid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You!
TRK

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I have 2, one "mint like new" and another showing good use. You can purchase either, but not until November? when I next visit the States... no stress, shoot straight, and good luck in your quest. gewehr

·
Premium Member
11,165 Posts
I'm not familiar with a No 20 A Marlin...........Can you post a pic of the original forearm with over all length? what isa ribbed forearm? do you mean checkered?

Post a pic.............I may have something that fits........

Tom

Reactions: Renokid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 2, one "mint like new" and another showing good use. You can purchase either, but not until November? when I next visit the States... no stress, shoot straight, and good luck in your quest. gewehr
Thank you, I wish that there was some way to get one from you before November. I would definitely purchase the new one from you.

TRK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not familiar with a No 20 A Marlin...........Can you post a pic of the original forearm with over all length? what isa ribbed forearm? do you mean checkered?

Post a pic.............I may have something that fits........

Tom
I will post a picture this afternoon.

Thanks,
TRK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forearm Pics

Here are some pictures of the rifle and the Forearm. As you can see there is no screw on the left hand side, there is supposed to be two screws on the right hand side. The Forearm is broken off at the rear screw hole. The Forearm is exactly six inches long. Rifle still functions but I would like the Forearm to be complete.

Thank you,
TRK

IMG_6983.JPG IMG_7000.JPG IMG_6990.JPG IMG_6994.JPG

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I'd try e-bay, you be amazed at the gun parts that surface, maybe a good wood worker could make one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd try e-bay, you be amazed at the gun parts that surface, maybe a good wood worker could make one.
I have tried ebay with no luck, if all else fails I will give it to my gunsmith, they can fix anything. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Boyds has it in their paper catalog from a couple years ago, but not on their website. Might be worth a call.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I have a Marlin No 20-A that I am cleaning up to shoot. The bore is great and shiny and everything works well. The only problem I am having is trying to replace the wood forend and screws, Numrich does not list them and Jack First did not have any when I called. I know that the forend was the same on other Marlin rifles also. Mine is an octagon barrel with a ribbed forend. Any help in locating the forend would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
TRK
The Marlin pumps are poor choices for shooters. First, they were designed in the blackpowder era and never updated for high-speed ammo. Production ceased before that came out. So if you just gotta shoot one, stick to standard velocity ammo. Second, production was very low, in the low thousands for each model. That means collector value is high for even mediocre specimens and any mucking around besides just cleaning it will drop the value. It also means that parts are scarce, you'll probably have to get a whole forearm from a scrapper, check auction sites. Most of these I've seen have spent decades behind a barn door with no maintenance, they're in poor shape. Marlin used to recommend back in the '60s that nothing older than 50 years be fired and NONE of their pump actions, rifle or shotgun. Proceed at your own risk.

For the one poster, the "ribbed forend" he's talking about is the standard style for decades for pump shotguns and rifles, has ring grooves cut into the surface. NOT checkered.

Stan S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boyds has it in their paper catalog from a couple years ago, but not on their website. Might be worth a call.
Thanks RCO, I will give Boyds a call.

TRK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Marlin pumps are poor choices for shooters. First, they were designed in the blackpowder era and never updated for high-speed ammo. Production ceased before that came out. So if you just gotta shoot one, stick to standard velocity ammo. Second, production was very low, in the low thousands for each model. That means collector value is high for even mediocre specimens and any mucking around besides just cleaning it will drop the value. It also means that parts are scarce, you'll probably have to get a whole forearm from a scrapper, check auction sites. Most of these I've seen have spent decades behind a barn door with no maintenance, they're in poor shape. Marlin used to recommend back in the '60s that nothing older than 50 years be fired and NONE of their pump actions, rifle or shotgun. Proceed at your own risk.

For the one poster, the "ribbed forend" he's talking about is the standard style for decades for pump shotguns and rifles, has ring grooves cut into the surface. NOT checkered.

Stan S.
Stan,

Thank you for your info. I have read the same info on the Marlins and have only shot shorts and CB's in the Marlin for that reason. I have recently bought a couple other .22s so I may end up selling the Marlin, have not decided yet. Than you for clarifying what I meant by "ribbed".

TRK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts