Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

My first experience with Marlin is from hearing stories my dad told me over the years, he never owned one, but his brother had a Marlin 444 which impressed my dad when they shot a telephone pole down with only 3 shots.

More recently a few years ago now, I went on vacation in California and one of my buddies from NorCal brought me to a quarry with one of his local friends who brought a Marlin 336C 30-30, which persuaded my buddy to buy a 336BL.

Fast forward, my girlfriend bought a Marlin 795 for her first gun, when I initially disassembled the gun I was suprised to find what looked like sand or grit throughout the action. I wasn't too thoroughly impressed with the QC, however the gun was reliable and accurate so we couldn't complain too much.

Recently I've decided that I want to add a lever gun to my safe and I was immediately drawn to the 444 based on the stories my dad told me, and the ballistics of the round itself. However this has proven to be a difficult rifle to obtain for a decent price point and the ammo seems about as difficult and pricey as well. So I turned my eyes to the 35 Rem, only to learn that is about $2 a shot! I was hoping for a little more punch than the 30-30 and a little more range than the 45/70, but I don't want to jump into a caliber that is expensive and scarce. I like the 308 and 338 MX performance charts, but I'm not sold on relying on demand to keep the ammo around. So right now I'm considering a 30-30 because of ammo price and availability. I know it will do all the tasks I ask of it, but I'm still doing research at this point. Input is welcome of course! I look forward to sharing my experiences and reading about yours!

Sorry for joining an "owners" group when I don't actually own yet, but who better to ask?

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello and welcome from the high plains of Colorado. No problem being a Marlin owner wannabe, we all want to own a few more. The.30-30 is a good place to start, others will surely follow.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! John

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
20,275 Posts
if ammo is your main concern, get a 30-30. guns & ammo in 30-30 win are easier to find & ammo is way cheaper. unless you plan on making a shot over 200 yards, the 30-30 will kill'm just as dead. welcome to the marlin owners forum my friend!

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome, this is a great place to learn

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy the forum.........................

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey guys,

My first experience with Marlin is from hearing stories my dad told me over the years, he never owned one, but his brother had a Marlin 444 which impressed my dad when they shot a telephone pole down with only 3 shots.

More recently a few years ago now, I went on vacation in California and one of my buddies from NorCal brought me to a quarry with one of his local friends who brought a Marlin 336C 30-30, which persuaded my buddy to buy a 336BL.

Fast forward, my girlfriend bought a Marlin 795 for her first gun, when I initially disassembled the gun I was suprised to find what looked like sand or grit throughout the action. I wasn't too thoroughly impressed with the QC, however the gun was reliable and accurate so we couldn't complain too much.

Recently I've decided that I want to add a lever gun to my safe and I was immediately drawn to the 444 based on the stories my dad told me, and the ballistics of the round itself. However this has proven to be a difficult rifle to obtain for a decent price point and the ammo seems about as difficult and pricey as well. So I turned my eyes to the 35 Rem, only to learn that is about $2 a shot! I was hoping for a little more punch than the 30-30 and a little more range than the 45/70, but I don't want to jump into a caliber that is expensive and scarce. I like the 308 and 338 MX performance charts, but I'm not sold on relying on demand to keep the ammo around. So right now I'm considering a 30-30 because of ammo price and availability. I know it will do all the tasks I ask of it, but I'm still doing research at this point. Input is welcome of course! I look forward to sharing my experiences and reading about yours!

Sorry for joining an "owners" group when I don't actually own yet, but who better to ask?
Welcome. Get one of each. Couldn't be any easier.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Welcome from Alaska to all things Marlin. Congrats on looking in the right direction. A 30-30 is very common in many homes in Alaska and often more than one in a lever. Agree with earlier post by duxnbucks and start there. Plenty of moose, caribou and bear all brought down with it since few people here have read it is too small for the work it has been doing for over a 100 years. I have a Take down trapper 30-30 which is great for travel in small planes or to have as a second rifle. A 45-70 is now my standard hunting and camp rifle loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo. The bear in my ID was shot with a 45-70 Marlin.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the insight! I've pretty much decided on a 30-30, I'm debating between on whether I want to buy new or used at this point. Plenty available from either market, I prefer new firearms but I really love the smooth, uncheckered wood of some of the older models I've seen floating around the local gun shops. I will continue shopping around :)

Thank you all for the warm welcoming!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi and welcome from Canada Eh!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts