Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my J.L. Galef catalog of September 1934 that I got off of EBAY. I bought it from someone in Brandon, Oregon and no doubt a relative of MM93 :lol: . Anyways there are some interesting Marlins for sale in it. The add that caught my eye is the Marlin Model 93 in 30-30 caliber and having either a 20" half octagon barrel, a 20" full octagon barrel or a 20" round barrel for sale. Also the 93's in carbine and sporting carbines and of course with 20" barrels

Well this so happens to fall right in line with the "A" prefix serial numbers in my data base on the Model 93. So I'am wondering if the "A" serial numbers were sold to J.L. Galef? If so this would date these rifles to the Mid thirties.

They also had 44 Marlin Model 49 shotguns for sale and 22 Marlin Model 410 shotguns for sale. I need to keep an eye out for more of these catalogs as it looks like Galef was a major Marlin wholesaler in the 1930's. Parley

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Please elaborate? I'm a bit lost as to the connection. Can you shed some more light on the subject? Is the connection the 20" barrels, or did the ad confirm the A prefixes?
No relatives in "Bandon" Oregon. :wink:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

The connection is the 20 inch rifle barrels. This is the first time I have seen them mentioned anywhere. Parley

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
All of my early Marlin catalogs list the 20" rifle in both 1893 or 1894 models. The telegraph code is actually different for a 20" rifle vs. a 20" carbine.
Code for a 20" rifle was "lace" for octagon, or "letter" for round, while a 20" carbine was "insect." There's quite a bit of reference to 20" rifles in these old catalogs.
Although we know there were post WWI 20" rifles made, the catalogs I have from post WWI show no reference to anything but the 26" rifles.
Galef's was probably the largest seller of Marlin rifles in the US. They bought up many leftover or discounted models whenever Marlin needed to move inventory. They also arranged for bulk purchases at reduced prices over small buyers. Not much different than today's discount stores that are held in disdain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts