Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well I have to tell you I'am stumped. I really don't know unless it is the 3/98 date. It's my understanding that the bayonets have British marks on them and no Marlin marks. Parley

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on both accounts! The Marlin bayonets have no markings to identify them differently from standard Lee Enfield bayonets, so this seller is assuming quite a bit with his "sure" statement of it's being a Marlin 1893 Musket bayonet. As they all had standard British markings, it can't be confirmed, even if it was attached to a Marlin Musket.
Also right on the 3-98 date code for the bayonet in question. As only 31 muskets were built, and out of those, 24 were built in 1895-96, it would be tough to have a bayonet accessory from 2-3 years in the future!
Hopefully the seller will correct his auction. I have notified him, and he promised he would.
Good job Parley!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I question the finish on a bayonet that old. In those times, bayonets were actually USED. I just don't feel the metal matches the wood. If I was flush enough to own a musket, I'd probably buy the bayonet, though. I participate on a milsurp forum, and the Lee-Metford bayonets don't show up that often. Since I'm a cheapskate, I'll wait to find one in some lady's dandelion bucket. - I got a Puma white hunter that way once. SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is another Lee Metford bayonet on Ebay that has the correct blued finish. The Marlin musket bayonets for the 1893 were polished, as this one is, but I too agree that it looks too recently polished.
At one time I had thought of building up my own Marlin 1893 musket, just to have a replica of this rare gun. My plan was to use a Enfield front half stock fitted to a 24" round barrel 1893 rifle. That way it would have all the barrel bands, and bayonet lug, whcih would make it easier to build. Still might do it some day, if I find a junker 1893 round barrel. I've come across a number of octagon barrel candidates, but then it wouldn't have the rollstamps after I turned the barrel down. Sure would make a fun conversation piece!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
musquets

Okay, musket mavens, now that you have your bayonets, there's some muskets for sale in the Gun List today.

1. 1893 musket, 32-40 cal 30" bbl. #132XXX. exc bore. $10,500 :shock:

2. 1893 musket, 38-55 cal 30" bbl. #426XXX exc. bore. $17,500 :shock: :shock:

3. 1894 musket, 38-40 30" bbl. not marked Bureau County #125XXX exc. bore $12,500 :shock:

4. 1894 musket, 44-40 not marked Bureau Co. 30" bbl(only) good cond. VG bore. $8500 :cry:

And to think I originally started buying Marlins because I wasn't flush enough to afford Wrenchesters or Bergmann-Bayards! It's starting to look like when I go to that great roundhouse in the sky my preppy daughters can have quite a prosperous auction. SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW! I never see Marlin muskets for sale, and now 4 of them for sale! Way beyond me, but probably well worth it, especially the model 1893's!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The same guy had all 4 for sale. I do believe the 38-55 is a scarce one, but I haven't won the lottery yet! :shock: SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scarce is an understatement! If this gun is legit, there were only two made!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts