Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have an old N prefix Mountie with a stock configuration that I've never come across before and the serial number of the stock matches the rifle which would mean it's original. It has a crescent butt plate and raised comb with a shorter length of pull. I'm thinking it was a custom made stock but was wondering if anyone knew anything about this configuration. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,166 Posts
I see the pictures of the stocks but no picture of the entire rifle to really see what it is. I have never seen Marlin stocks like those before. I would think anyone could put the serial number on a set of stocks so not sure that would make them original stocks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are the serial numbers in stock, it looks official but who knows I guess. I'd like to find out more about it if possible, I can't find any similar 39a photos and nothing in Brophy's book on it. Just curious. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
While it appears to be the original stock it has been modified and did not come from marlin like that. It has simply been modified by a previous owner and fitted with the metal crescent butt plate.

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
that is different than any I have seen! the sel. no. looks right. I am not an expert on the 39 but you just hang on if it is real someone here will know. and welcome to the forum,,,,,,,,

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Registered
439 Posts
The stampings appear to be identical in style. From the look of the wrist area of the stock it looks age appropriate. During the 50's, 60's & 70's Marlin presented enhanced versions of current models to various individuals, the most notable are outlined in Brophy's book.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your Input, sooner or later the answers will turn up. I have Brophy's book but it only seems to touch on the most noteable custom jobs. Does Marlin have much for record keeping as far as ser #? I'm sure glad that you guys can see the photos I posted because I can't! Lol

·
Super Moderator
14,166 Posts
Here are the serial numbers in stock, it looks official but who knows I guess. I'd like to find out more about it if possible, I can't find any similar 39a photos and nothing in Brophy's book on it. Just curious. Thanks for any input.

MArlin did make some rifles around the time your was made with the monte carlo stocks. I have a 30-30 that was made in 1958. I don't have a picture of mine here at work but I found one that looks like mine. It is possible Marlin made your rifle custom for someone or someone working there made it. Maybe someone will who worked there will stop by and tell us what the know.

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Air gun

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
That's nice wood!

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I'll just chime in to say that is a nice and interesting rifle! I have never seen a stock like that either, yet based on the pics it does appear to be original. Most likely is a custom shop set of wood, either special ordered by someone, or made special as a presentation rifle for someone or for a special event. Stuff like that is very difficult to identify. All you can do is hang on and eventually the right person, info or photo will present itself. Or you may never find out. Great find you got there.

·
Super Moderator
14,166 Posts
Here is a photo of forearm, if I could see the photos myself I'd know if I've already posted it! I can't even solve that mystery!
The photo's are showing for me. You are logged in because you are able to post so you should be seeing them. Do you have some type of spam or add blocker that is keeping you from seeing the pictures?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.