Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1966 Marlin Mountie at a gun show this weekend. The front sight is ridiculously short, way to short to use with the Williams FP I just put on it. Does anyone know whether the front sight dovetail is the standard 3/8"? It looks smaller to my eye, but it could be an optical illusion. I definitely want to replace the front bead with a taller sight, maybe a Brockman's Patridge style post. I have had good luck with the Marbles 1/16" ivory bead as well. Any recommendations?

·
Banned
843 Posts
I'm going to take a stab at this and say yes it is a standard 3/8" cut dovetail.
Height of the needed front sight can be calculated from the following formula:

Height to add to front site=error inches high divided by distance to target in inches times sight radius in inches.

there is a calculator online some place for this calculation.

.......................TM7

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If you call Williams and tell them the gun and the rear sight they will sell you the correct front sight to match. ~Andrew

·
Banned
843 Posts
I've had mixed results calling Williams, but their catalog and website can be very helpful.

TnBigBore----good luck with the new Mountie. I just love my Mountie which was born in 1954,,truly one of the world's get manufactured inventions. That formula gives a pretty small number, in point hundreds of an inch. If I remember correctly, front sight height [when selecting] is measured from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight. I hope somebody comes along to verify or refute this recollection. Better check this out with the williams people.

.................TM7

1 - 5 of 5 Posts