Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, was curious is the shotgun in the thread title is worth anything to anyone, I recently bought one blindly at an auction. I was under the impression it was a 1897 Winchester shotgun but they had the tag wrong and refused to work with me. It’s in poor condition, even for 100-something years old.
Wood Material property Gas Cosmetics Tool

Sewing machine feet Wood Gas Machine Auto part

Wood Bumper Kitchen utensil Gas Automotive exterior

Shoe Table Wood Tool Hand tool

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Trunk Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust
Sewing machine feet Wood Gas Machine Auto part
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior
Wood Bumper Kitchen utensil Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Trunk Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust
Wood Material property Gas Cosmetics Tool

·
Super Moderator
40,392 Posts
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.
Well it would make a good display/wall-hanger to show off. Condition of shotgun isn't great for it's age.

·
Registered
81 Posts
These shot guns have a checkered past. So much so that Marlin had put out a do not fire at some point on its 1898 predecessor model due to the bolts flying out of the receivers at firing. Folks never trusted these actions ever since. Marlin upgraded the model with that bolt release button you see on the right side. The last model 42 had it moved down to the trigger guard. The bolt release button can become sticky making the gun not safe to fire from what I remember. But if its in good working order and the bolt lock/bolt has been inspected for no cracks, Its a shootable shot gun with lower powered shells such as low brass target. The best part of your buy is its the more rare fixed barrel gun. These are far more sturdy to use in the field & range than the weak Black Powder era take down designed ones. That TD design as with the Winchester TD 1897 just flat out couldn't handle smokeless shells and are pretty much worthless as shooters unless you are lucky enough to find one thats tight AND still has thread tightening adjustment left. Those are BP only shooters in my book. Personally, If the bore is not pitted, I would consider buying your old Marlin if you were close by in TN. With todays prices I would think your open market price could be 200 to 350 since its a fixed barrel gun. -100 off that scale for a TD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts