Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just inherited a Marlin Model 989 M2 from my great-uncle. It came with everything but a stock. When I got it I swear there was more rust than gun but I removed most of the rust, cleaned the whole thing, and applied a layer of gun oil. I'm either going to purchase a stock or part the gun off. I would like to keep the gun but I can not find any stocks for it. I was wondering if I could get any advice on whether I should buy a new one, try and find a stock, or sell it in parts.
IMG_6372.JPG IMG_6371.JPG

·
Super Moderator
16,360 Posts
Welcome from Alabama... As a family gun, I'd try to find a stock and fix her up... The 989M2 has a 2 piece stock so you'll need a handguard and barrel band also... Google Numrich Gunparts, find the Marlin/Glenfield section then click on the 989M2 to see the diagram and what parts they have available...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Try searching for a Marlin model 70 walnut stock or the newer black 795 stock. Probably too expensive to restore with all the 989 M2 stock parts.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Last time I looked numrich had the wood upper and the barrel band. I have looked for stocks on and off for a couple years with the idea of using one on a 795 with no luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
A quick nose bob-job on the ebay stock should work. The walnut 995 stock I bought for my 795 are rare now.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
In a pinch,I know this is an old post,this sounds like a pinch,there are custome stocks from a few makers,tacticool stuff that I would normally ignore,that would get your rifle back to a rifle and shooting until you find a suitable original or at least close,any stock for a 60,70,99 ,795 ,ANY of them,can be easily modified to fit that action and while they’re not the proverbial dime a dozen,a Marlin beech stock is not that expensive,it is worth making parts into a rifle,and if your lucky on eBay it will still be a low priced rifle,DIP has triggers and guards MCarbo has springs .

·
Registered
570 Posts
Tracker never came back to update us. Another one and out member.............

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
To bad,that is just the kind of thing I like to find in a barn or at a yard sale,you know if you find a whole rifle your kind of locked into restore the thing,clean it up ,make it run,but if you find the majority of parts ,like the action and barrel for free or $5.00 it gives your creative juices a chance to flow and take root,and no matter what it comes out like ,if it shoots and hits the barn,somewhere on the side you made it better ,It Lives! It was as success! I found a jc Higgins mod.29 at a barn sale 20maybe 25 years ago ,$5.00 with no bolt and no trigger groups barrel ,receiver and feed group and the stocks it ended up sitting in my barn then a year or two ago I started work on it and found the parts after some searching and learning and buying extra parts I did not need,for those other years it was forgotten till I saw the bolt online,I have three of those little jewels now and want more!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts