Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can sombody post a pic of the upper tang of a model 94 for me. Mine has an asterisk behind the marlin name that I havent noticed on other guns.Thanks

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I would but none of my 94s have that. I'm guessing you speak of a six-pointed star that does, in fact, resemble an asterisk.

There has been a lot of discussion and speculation of that mark. Like it was the same as a 'star-gauged' Springfield or that it designated a less than optimum piece. Mr. Brophy says it is an inspector's stamp.

Some older Marlin literature states guns bearing the star are "as near perfection as the finest of materials, equipment and skills can make it". This mark will be seen on a wide variety of models, and it seems (to me, at least) there isn't a lot of consistency in how it is applied. SW

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have a 93 and a 39 with it. All my 94's were made before WW1. I can post picture of it from other two this evening. moodyholler

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Bill also states that he doesn't think it has any real significance, as all Marlins from this 1920's period had this star. He felt it was just a final inspector's mark, which meant it had been through all checks, and was, "as near perfection as the finest of materials, equipment and skills can make it".
Every one I've seen was right behind the hammer, just like your's. Many had the "Marlin Firearms Corporation" rollstamp also, as barrels from that era were used up. Although some were a bit later, and had the later rollstamp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts