Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i haven't been around for a while,but im still looking for old Marlins !!:biggrin:I just yesterday traded an old Krag for a model 94 saddle ring carbine in 25-20, the serial number is 442,786, its probably 75-80% condition.I know at one time some here had figured out the serial number,year of production up untill WW1. I searched for a bit to try and figure out what year this was actually made,and couldn't find out. Can one of you help me out with a date? thanks again. Don

·
Registered
445 Posts
a rough guestimate would be,, 355,### is where it ends in 1906.. so I'd put it at 1908 early model... ????

and please,, do NOT put full serial numbers on here... there are scammers that would say it was stolen,, heres my serial #.. ya know,, given the day and age in which we live...

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
loggah....It's been a while! How have you been? I still go back and drool over your collection and live in gun safe!:biggrin:
I could live in there for the rest of my days!
Well....added another one to the collection!
YOU KNOW WE NEED PICS!:flute:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im,pretty sure its late like 1914 or so, i know 460,000 was just before the war. I have posted a lot of full serial numbers on here before,also pictures of my whole collection, if some one wants to scam me let them try!!!! they could also come try and get it!!!!!!:biggrin:I'll try and bribe my wife to take a few pictures, last time i posted pictures i think you guys got bored with them !!! Don

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
I would put your rifle at around 1911. That is figuring a production at an average of 20000 per year, after 1906.
All just a guess, since there is no records to go by.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I,m thinking it may be a bit later,i have a 1895 lightweight in .33 caliber s/n 439,267, andMarlin first listed these in august 1912, so that should put the carbine into 1913 at least.if they kept the numbering in sequence,thanks. Don

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
The only thing I have to go off is the average right before 1906. So as I said just a guess. Plus Marlin wasn't the greatest at doing things in order. If a receiver was at the bottom of a pile, it could stay there for awhile. Even with more receivers put on top. So if you can get within 5 years on a manufacture date your doing good. But the date on the 1895 is probably close. In later years Marlin would start building a new model in post prodution, the end of the year before. So even though the 33 wasn't advertise until August, it is possible that Marlin started making them a month or two, earlier in 1912. Exactly dating Marlin's, can be a full time, maddening job. It is a matter of how good of a guess you can make, with the little info that we have.
Who know, your guess might be better than mine.

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
She a beauty. You don't see carbine's in that shape very often. Most look like they were dragged behind a horse, for the last 100 miles.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks,It is a pretty decent little rifle.There is something a bit odd about it and the 1894 baby carbine i have. On both of my carbines its as tho the dovetail was milled at a bit of a angle for the rear sights !!!!! both rear sights are on the barrel at a bit of an angle. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this on their 1894,94 carbines??? thanks. Don

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 1893 rear sight slot seems a little off also. Hmm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.