Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking at Brophy's Marlin book I rediscovered a bit of interesting data on the Marlin Model 93.

Febuary 4, 1936-
J. L. Galef Company has contract dated October 2, 1935 to purchase 5000 Model 93 rifles and carbines. I wonder if they were actually made or was the Model 1936 substituted? Parley

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like it might be worth doing a little detective work on. Do you know what the J.L. Galef Co. was? Maybe I'll hit the old search engine and see what comes up?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
JL Galef 75 Chambers St, NY, NY was one of Marlins largest sellers of their rifles. What they bought in 1935 was a combination of rifles, carbines, and sporting carbines. These were purchased in bulk quamtity of 5,000 to get a rock bottom price. Marlin was happy to get rid of this many model '93 models, as they had the new 1936 in the wings. Galef sold all these guns, regardless of configuration for $19.75 each!
I have Galef's September 1936 catalog, listing these rifles. This catalog also lists the remaining model 410's for a close out sale price of $17.50, reduced from their previous sale price of $23.85!
In addition, they have a close out on model 39 Marlins for $16.75, reduced from their previous sale of $19.95! Marlin model 49 shotgun close out, reduced from $30 to $16.50!
Wouldn't it have been fun to have a time machine!
PS-All these guns were chambered for .30-30.

Reactions: Tom D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information MM93. I was thinking if they were all made at the same time and that the serial numbers would be in a certain range and give a clue to the dates. Sounds like they bought what was on hand with maybe some newly made. In that case the serial numbers would be scattered. Parley

·
Registered
201 Posts
MM93

Neat history lesson. In 1948 one of my best friends in highshool and myself had paper routes to earn money. During the summer he bought a Marlin 39A and I bought a High Standard automatic pistol model B. I paid something like $22.50 for my pistol, he paid something like $32.50 for the Marlin. I ended up trading my pistol for a Ford Model A coupe, he still has the Marlin. I try to buy it everytime I see him at the High Shool reunions. He has promised to give it to a grandson. Good for him but I keep trying. I would bet it has less than a brick through it.

DG

marlinman93 said:
JL Galef 75 Chambers St, NY, NY was one of Marlins largest sellers of their rifles. What they bought in 1935 was a combination of rifles, carbines, and sporting carbines. These were purchased in bulk quamtity of 5,000 to get a rock bottom price. Marlin was happy to get rid of this many model '93 models, as they had the new 1936 in the wings. Galef sold all these guns, regardless of configuration for $19.75 each!
I have Galef's September 1936 catalog, listing these rifles. This catalog also lists the remaining model 410's for a close out sale price of $17.50, reduced from their previous sale price of $23.85!
In addition, they have a close out on model 39 Marlins for $16.75, reduced from their previous sale of $19.95! Marlin model 49 shotgun close out, reduced from $30 to $16.50!
Wouldn't it have been fun to have a time machine!
PS-All these guns were chambered for .30-30.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I admit I was surprised to see the note in Brophy's book, in the '93 section. I thought it was funny that he called them "JF Galef" rather than JL. When this question came up, I remembered the catalog I had in my Marlin collection. I was surprised to see it was Sept of 1936, and they had no model 1936 Marlins for sale!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Hey Smoke,
I know where there is a model B for sale! Fella also has a "like new" HD Military with 4" barrel too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts