Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question I have about the model 81 DL I'v'e owned since 1944. The gun was given to me by may Father as a birthday gift and begin my lifetime interest in sport shooting. This is the only model 81 I/ve every seen that came new with a "rear peep sight with both adjustable elecation and windage, including a front sight with bead and hood". Was this a standard feature offered by the manufacture?
I'm still using the gun to shoot prairie dogs at upward of 100 yds using match grade ammo.

Your comments and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Gene

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Sorry , I'm not familiar with that model but I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you along

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! John

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
Welcome to the MarlinOwners Forum from New York.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Gene. Having that Marlin for that many years is quite an accomplishment...they are fine old rifles, known for their accuracy. The 81DL (deluxe) did indeed come with an adjustable aperture rear sight. It should look a lot like this pre-war example...

From everything I've been able to determine, if yours has a wide, semi-beavertail fore end like the one in the pictures, it would be of prewar manufacture. If it does not, you would have a very early post war example.

Roe

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello and welcome from the high plains of Colorado. I hope your questions were answered. If not, try the rimfire section.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello Gene and Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum, from the state of Louisiana!!!

Team 45-70 #1214
cajunjohn

"This is America." " Everyone's got a bone to pick."

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
Welcome from NC. Please post of pic of your 1944 marlin. I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
The DL was the deluxe model and came equipped with the rear peep sight and hooded front sight. Finding one intact these days is not so common.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts