Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm hoping you can help me with instructions on how to reassemble the bolt of my marlin 81DL. Long story short it is my grandfathers gun and has never been cleaned. I did a thorough cleaning on the gun and removed the bolt. Once the bolt was removed, I went on to remove the tiny screw near the back or head of the bolt. Once apart, i cannot figure out how to get the bolt back together by putting that screw back in. For the life of me I cannot get the holes to line back up. Please help!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never mind I finally figured it out. What a pain! If you do not absolutely need to remove that set screw and take the bolt apart ... Don't. If you do you'll need to use a screw driver to pry the spring back down while lining up the holes and ensuring that the head is hinged in the right spot. You'll also need a vice and baindaids

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey mark, can you detail what you pressed? I had to pull that screw to get the bolt loose. The bolt jammed and it was the only way to get it loose with a live round in the chamber! While it is a pain, I had no choice :(

·
Registered
803 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Mark,
I saw a later post with a picture on how to reassemble the bolt. I concur with everyone's post, it was a PITA! However, I was able to disassemble the rifle and find the root cause of the load failure. There was actually an old .22LR round in the space between the feeding tube and the forward stock of the rifle. It is functioning fine now. This is an AWESOME website. I have looked for my 30-30 assembly instructions as well!
Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts