Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys Im new here and came seeking wisdom. I was wondering if there is a way to date my guns manufacture and to help me better understand my gun. I recently inherited it and wanted to know more about what I have.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hello and Welcome from Kentucky! Yes the first few numbers and or letters will give you the year of manufacture. You need not post the entire number , just the first part. You have come to the right place. Enjoy
KyBoB

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
Welcome to MarlinOwners. Like kybob said, you need to post some info on your rifle. Also you can look here and find what you need: Marlin Years of Manufacture

Glad to have you with us!

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Welcome from Indiana

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee! We're glad you joined us. Please post a picture of your rifle!

Ron

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined the forum! John

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
20,532 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy the forum..........................

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Rifle

These are some pictures of my rifle after I cleaned it up. I still can't find the numbers you guys suggested to date it. IMG_1715.jpg IMG_1714.JPG

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks a lot guys for replying so quick and welcoming me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Kybob where would i find those numbers? Ive taken my whole gun apart and can't find anything of that type.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The older rimfires did not have serial #'s on them until the mid 60's I believe? Can you post a good pic of the bolt. would help date it some if it is original.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I see no micro groove stamp, puts it pre 1953, maybe 1954 if they were using up old barrel stock. I personally like the ballard cut barrels better. Band type extractor with style 4 striker would put the bolt 1952 or newer. P-Bass told me once he thought the band type was introduced in 1952, I know the band type won't fit in the barrel relief of the rifles that used the old style extractor, the band is wider than the older ectractor clips.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
These are some pictures of my rifle after I cleaned it up. I still can't find the numbers you guys suggested to date it. View attachment 89955 View attachment 89963
Hey Pirhett, the pics help.
Based on
Model 81 1937-40
Model 81E 1937-40
Model 81C 1940-70
Model 81DL 1940-1965
Model 81G 1960-65
would appear a 37thru 40 model, but based on what Klewless has posted, early 50's ( 52 to 54 )
A gem of a rifle for sure.
BoB

1 - 20 of 46 Posts