Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I checked all 47 pages here and also the Repairing thread but did not find my answer. I am going to be replacing the cartridge guide spring on my model 80. Does it matter which way the barrel retainer pin is driven out? It is pretty mangled on both sides like someone tried to drive it out before. I want to not beat myself up driving the wrong side if there is a difference. Also Merry Christmas to all!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
If the pin is messed up, you can make another from a sized drill bit. Find one that fits the hole, then Dremel it to length. Buy another to replace the you used from the set.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to all, I got the pin out intact. I got the barrel to move a fraction with a fiberglass (ramrod) and a brass punch. I squirted Kroil in and will let work overnight and buy a wooden dowel in the morning at the hardware store to get the barrel out of the receiver. Too much flex and too many things to try and control with what I had on hand.

Now, when I reassemble, what is recommended as far as the barrel shank and receiver as far as lubricant, coating, etc? Light coat of oil, light coat of grease, light coat of Anti-Seize, or nothing at all?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the barrel off lickety split, no muss, no fuss. When I put it back on I am going to put the barrel in my freezer for a day; that ought to let me position it easier. Right now I intend to use a light coat of oil unless better guidance pops up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts