Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but have found it to be a tremendous resource. I recently was given a Marlin Model 80 by my Grandfather, and he said his Father got it second hand in the 50's. It is .22 S/LR/L and has neither serial numbers or micro-grooving. I have been told microgrooving was introduced in 1954, but I'm not sure how old this rifle may be. Does anyone else have a better idea? I have attached photos. It is drilled and tapped on the side, has a complete walnut stock, but the original bolt and mag are missing.

I am interested in its age out of curiosity, but mainly so I may track down the correct bolt for it. I bought one off of ebay but upon receiving it today I was disappointed to find it would not fit all the way due to the rear striker. So my question is, do I have to keep tracking down a bolt or can I buy a replacement striker off Numrich and swap it? What is the correct style bolt for this earlier style model 80? Thank you so much in advance!

80.jpg . IMG_1328.jpg . IMG_3101.JPG . IMG_1356_2.jpg . s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
824 Posts
The 80 was made from 1934-1959. The micro-groove rifling was introduced in 1954 in the model 100. Unfortunately, there are many variations of the model 80 and different bolt designs, finding the correct one will be like finding a unicorn holding the holy grail!! I hate when the bolt gets removed for "safety" then lost and the gun is useless forever. I know where there's a beautiful Rem. 541X with the same problem!!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but have found it to be a tremendous resource. I recently was given a Marlin Model 80 by my Grandfather, and he said his Father got it second hand in the 50's. It is .22 S/LR/L and has neither serial numbers or micro-grooving. I have been told microgrooving was introduced in 1954, but I'm not sure how old this rifle may be. Does anyone else have a better idea? I have attached photos. It is drilled and tapped on the side, has a complete walnut stock, but the original bolt and mag are missing.

I am interested in its age out of curiosity, but mainly so I may track down the correct bolt for it. I bought one off of ebay but upon receiving it today I was disappointed to find it would not fit all the way due to the rear striker. So my question is, do I have to keep tracking down a bolt or can I buy a replacement striker off Numrich and swap it? What is the correct style bolt for this earlier style model 80? Thank you so much in advance!

View attachment 773519 . View attachment 773511 . View attachment 773515 . View attachment 773517 . View attachment 773513
As Big Al1 stated there are several bolt designs for the model 80. The one you have has the round striker knob like my old Model 80 from around the same circa. I'm not sure the striker is in the cocked position on your bolt. These rifles are cocked when you turn the bolt to the open position and must be in the cocked position in order to be replaced in the receiver. I have about a dozen or so vintage Marlin bolt actions. Cock the bolt by grabbing the striker knob and pulling it to the rear while turning it to engage it in the cocked position.

Reactions: Golphin and Big Al1

·
Super Moderator
24,334 Posts
its not cocked and if it was i believe the bolt would fit.
you can stick [some bolts] on 22s in bakward in to cock them
not sure on that model

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
its not cocked and if it was i believe the bolt would fit.
you can stick [some bolts] on 22s in bakward in to cock them
not sure on that model
navajo, I was pretty sure it wasn't. I think it will go in. The internals of the bolt look just like mine and it has two piece extractors.

·
Super Moderator
24,334 Posts
navajo, I was pretty sure it wasn't. I think it will go in. The internals of the bolt look just like mine and it has two piece extractors.

i went a few rounds with a model 80 years ago when i had a table at the flea market.
i had several of them and had all of them apart to some degree.
i do know that there is an early and late version of the 80, and that they are similar
but not quite the same.
looking at that pic it sure looks right.
i hope it is and it gets you going again.
you're lucky you found a complete bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not cocked in the photo of the bolt itself (it's the pic off the ebay auction I got it in). but it is cocked in the photo of it in the receiver. I have tried it with the striker turned a few different ways and I'm still about 1/8" short. Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts