Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Picked up a model 62 in .256 Win. mag. with about 200 rds. of ammo. Thought it might make a good lever gun varmite rifle up to coyotes, out to 150yds. Anyone have any tuning or reloading tip or just general advice about his rifle and round, it would be greatly appreciated.............. 8).....Duce<><

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Duce, you lucky dog, I've never even seen one of those, but I'd sure love to find one. I think the .256WM is one of the neater rounds there is, kind of like a 218 Bee on steroids. I don't have any experience with it, but I'd bet Lil Gun or 4227 would be a good place to start for data, probably W680 or AA1680 as well. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Great find Duce! take a look at the Jan 1963 original owner's manual (hang tag) attached here; notice something odd about the barrel offerings? your caliber was the only one to "make it to market" ; until the .30 caliber a few years later (1966)! Brophy states production numbers of 5,960 for the Marlin marked 62 in .256 Winchester (same caliber was also made for Western Auto, <2,000)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I have one I bought used many years ago for $100.00. It shoots good, I took a javalina in Texas a couple years ago.
You can make brass for it by annealing .357 Mag. brass then full length sizing in .256 Mag. dies (I use Imperial Sizing Die wax to lube cases)
I'll check my load data for you tomorrow.

Hipshot

P.S. There is a post on this site from a guy (don't remember his handle) who took an antelope with his. There is some interesting stuff on it----do a search.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Use a Sierra 75gr HP loaded to an overall length of 1.735" and your favorite powder. I use Reloader #7 by Alliant. I get in the 2400fps range with it. You won't find a 60gr semi spitzer today. Round nose 60gr for the 25-20 guys don't shoot very nicely in the 256.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. After reading it all this I'll need to be careful this puppy is a little rarer than I thought. If I ever run on to another one, that wasn't in as nice of shape re-barreling to 22 jet would be a great project.......... 8)...........Duce<><

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Duce,
My load is reformed .357 brass 14.3 gr. IMR 4227 Rem. 6-1/2 SRP with the Speer 75 gr. FP. It shoots good 1 to 1-1/2" at 100yds.
The other guy that I mentioned who shot the antelope used the same load I believe but used Hornady 75 gr. Vmax with the plastic tip ground off to make it shorter.
His rifle was a deluxe model with a checkered stock and a black forend tip. It looked really nice.

Hip

·
Registered
2 Posts
i recently came into ownership of one of these rifles, someone thought it was a broken rifle as the lever didnt move very far and sold it to me basically for parts (they had inherited several firearms and their wife wanted them gone), having now researched the rifle a bit and getting some ammo from reeds, its in perfect working order, and looks as if its barely been fired in its history. the problem im having is finding any useful information on value, it doesnt have a serial number, minus a couple nicks in the wood it looks like it just rolled off the shelf. i can say its the one with open sights, no scope.

it is stamped model 62 magnum - micro groove barrel - cal. .256 mag.

the man i bought it from stated that it had sat in the "gun closet" as long as he could remember n doesnt remember his father ever using it, i attempted to take it to a gun shop to get intel on it but the guy kept offering to take it in trade mostly badgerin me till i left with no info. i know i didnt get hurt on the deal as i only paid $40.00 for it as the guy said it was broken n thats why he had never seen it used heh. basically i traded a 4 wheeler for several weapons and each was priced till they added up to my price for the 4 wheeler. he was 40 short of my price n threw this rifle in to make it square, i had no clue they were so rare or i would have asked for it first n actually gave him a decent price. if i can get it priced im gonna give the guy 25% of its value. if yall need photo's i can upload em to assist with pricing it...thanks for any intel....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bought one in 30 Carbine about a month ago. I'm having a little trouble getting the thing to feed properly. Had to buy a new magazine from Numrich and it doesn't work very well.

However, shooting it as a single shot yielded mighty fine groups at 100 yds. Three of the shots made a crescent shaped hole and the other two made an oval. Total spread of the five shots was less than 1.25". Now, if I can just get it to be a repeater, I'll have it made.

Other than a little rust around the base of the rear sight, it almost looks new. Dang neat little rifle, it is.

Hook

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
ranger5598 said:
i recently came into ownership of one of these rifles, someone thought it was a broken rifle as the lever didnt move very far and sold it to me basically for parts
Heeheehee. I love stories like that. A little ignorance can save a lot of money.

Welcome to the forum! Pictures would be great. 8)

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Just a Note:Marlin rifles without serial numbers,many times have a letter or two stamped into the barrel near the receiver and that can indentify production year and month.
Great find! I've seen them for sale in the past,but my interests at the time lay with antique 1893's etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
took these this morning, not the best pics but got shots of the stamp will try n get better ones when i got more time heh, any info would be awesome...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
ranger,
The serial # on mine is on the left side of the barrel just foward of the receiver. Mine has a (4) diget serial # . I looked it up on this site and found that the rifle was made in 1965.
Don't have any idea what it is worth today as less than 10,00 were made in .256 Win.

Hip

·
Registered
89 Posts
10.0 gr SR 4759 with the 60 gr hornady fp is deadly accurate in mine.2050 fps and great for squirrel and turkey and close range vermin. Also 86 gr 25/20 remington bullet is awesome too with 9 grains of 4759. Full power loads need AA1680 or win 680 or surplus wc 680. Damn near 2900 fps is possible with the 60gr. Chambers Are oversized so cases don't last with full power loads and fl sizing. A neck sizer is a great investment. Love that 256.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ranger,
Check this auction item for a price check on your gun:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=247210876

From what I can see on your pics, yours looks in better shape. I picked one up last year with lots of goodies (Herter dies, original ammo, a couple of boxes of bullets, original hang tag, old Leupold scope, etc), in better shape for a bit more than starting price on this auction.

I think you got a GREAT deal at $40. $600 might be a good guess for your (?) depends on who's buying that day. I picked mine up 'cause I have a custom pistol w/an xtra cylinder in that caliber. Why not a lever action too!

Going on vacation soon, hope to be able to load some more up for mine so I can get it out shooting again.

Good luck with your M62

Oh, that short lever throw is amazing, eh?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am working on building a 256 win on a winchester model 92 action and wouldn't you know it my smith has a marlin 62 in 256 win come in and calls me to see if I want it. Well now I have 2 256 win that will be in my collection later this fall when I get them both paid for.
It is all of you guys here that I finally broke down and started my marlin collection.
I paid around the price that is listed here on the gunbroker but mine is in much better shape

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just scored my 62 30 carbine! Been looking a long time to get it. I have a clip model 56, two 57Ms, a 62 in 256 Win Mag, and now a 30 Carbine. I fell in love with the Levermatics as a kid, shooting a friend of my dads, which was a 57M.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts