Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have searched all the internet and couldn't find my answer. I recently purchased a model 60 for thirty dollars and it will not eject shells when I pulled it apart the ejector lifter spring was just free floating on my pin. I put the ends in the proper positions and when I set the assembly back into the reciever I can hear and see the spring come out of its notch in the cartridge lifter it does this everytime. I don't know if I need a new ejector lifter spring or cartridge lifter or if anyone knows why it would constantly pop of the lifter, I have even tried changing the spacing of the spring on the pin to no luck. I don't have a gunsmith very close and was hoping that someone here could help.

·
Registered
733 Posts
That spring wire ejector position is a common problem easily cured for my Marlins. The final position should be .075 inch MAX above the feed-throat perhaps only .010 less. I added this info as a tolerance so you know how reasonable it needs to be. A Nickle is that about that thick so you can use it as a MAX gage. You can use a Penney for a "minimum gage" too of .060.
So you want the wire between a Nickel and a Penney thickness. For horizontal position, use the coins as same gage to get the tip of the wire .075-.060 inside the wall of the feed-throat. Remember to re-assemble the action with the bolt locked all the way back so you dont pinch the wire.
nickel high.jpg nickel wide.jpg

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Good thing they picked a nickel and not a penny. Eventually there will be none and the world will still be full of model 60s. Children putting their 60 back together asking daddy "What's a penny?"

[sigh]

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Some people remember buying things with a penny. I remember buying things with a nickel. Now you can't buy anything under a dollar.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Bazooka bubble gum, was a penny, when I was a kid. There was a penny-candy store, in Coeur d'Alene, for years. Actually sold small candies that were a penny. Fun for kids. :) They can throw up for 25 cents!

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI, after cleaning and adjusting at home, had to tinker with the spring ejector again in the field. bent it up a lil and back to the outside a lil. works great now. 100 rounds and no issues.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Good job DDDdog! That's the most common problem with the 60. In fact it's one of the only problems :) For $30 you bought a rock solid rifle that will treat you right for decades. If you put it up for sale, for 4x what you bought it for, it would sell today.

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
55 Posts
A frosty good morning to you gentlemen,

Bowtie, I was wondering what your result was after using the nickel for a guide? ArrowDodger, do I just use some pliers to carefully bend the spring to it's proper position? Cases eject weakly from the rifle I just rescued, a Model 60, and am in the process of tearing it down and checking over every part.
Hope I am adding to the current thread and not hijacking...if hijacking, lemme know and I'll hush and sit on my hands....

Best regards,

Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The nickel trick worked great actualy. Sorry it took so long to reply I'm new to this Forum business. I went ahead and ordered a new spring as a precaution in case mine was bent or weak. I was interested in knowing the significance in reassembly with the bolt all the back. Thanks for all the help its truly appreciated. Great thanks ArrowDodger

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have to say, this is one thing I like better about my older Glefield with a solid ejector and no spring. I haven't actually had any real problems with a spring, but the old style is easier to clean, dont have to be careful with a brass brush, and just seems simpler. Less to go wrong maybe. But, the springs seem to eject just fine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I was interested in knowing the significance in reassembly with the bolt all the back.
Re-assembly is the easiest with the bolt locked in the rear position so the ejector wire cannot be pinched. Releasing the bolt after that , the ejector wire simply glides into position. Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have to say, this is one thing I like better about my older Glefield with a solid ejector and no spring. I haven't actually had any real problems with a spring, but the old style is easier to clean, dont have to be careful with a brass brush, and just seems simpler. Less to go wrong maybe. But, the springs seem to eject just fine.
Just keep an eye on it. The cast ejector can actually develop a dangerous problem. I don't have one, but I think I understand what I've read. They can wear to a sharp edge, and when ejecting a live round, that edge can be fine enough to dent the rim and touch off the round out of battery. You may want to look that up for yourself, in case I got it wrong, so you'll know what to look for.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Bazooka bubble gum, was a penny, when I was a kid. There was a penny-candy store, in Coeur d'Alene, for years. Actually sold small candies that were a penny. Fun for kids. :) They can throw up for 25 cents!
Jet,
I remember Bazooka gum for a penny too. Did you hear that our neighbor to the North has discontinued production of pennies?
John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just keep an eye on it. The cast ejector can actually develop a dangerous problem. I don't have one, but I think I understand what I've read. They can wear to a sharp edge, and when ejecting a live round, that edge can be fine enough to dent the rim and touch off the round out of battery. You may want to look that up for yourself, in case I got it wrong, so you'll know what to look for.
Thanks Pokey, I'll look that up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank You for sharing this. It makes a difference. The ejector wire on my NEW Marlin 60 was riding on the bolt and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't ejecting properly. Your FIX has done the trick.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
What a fortuitous posting...have this problem also. You guys make this site great...not a bunch of comments like, "did you use the search function first?". Tons of knowledge here.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts