Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This is my first post and first Marlin I've bought. I found it in a local pawn shop for a pretty good price. But I've been doing some research and see that the post mid-1980s that all model 60s came with 19inch barrels that has 14+1 round capacities and that the ones before the mid 1980s came with 22 inch barrels that had 17+1 round capacities. Is this correct?

My gun has a 22in barrel and only holds 14+1. It also has the 'last shot bolt open' feature. The numbering on the side is 00209433 which leads me to believe that it was made as a 2000 model year. it also has checkering on the side and has the extra screw behind the trigger guard.

Can someone give me more information on which and what gun I've bought other than model 60?

I can post pictures later if needed.

Thanks,
Kiet

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yup, sounds like a 2000. If you close the bolt before loading it, then the magazine magically transforms from a 14 into a 15 round magazine. It's pretty neat.
Keep the gun clean inside, make sure that the ejector is properly adjusted, and use very little oil, and it should be a very reliable tack driver. Check youtube for videos on how to field strip it. The only real trick is getting the bolt in and out without bending the recoil spring. Once you master that, and cleaning we'll get you up to speed on the more advanced topics. :D
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm not sure. I don't know what year they switched to the shorter barrel. Maybe they used up all the left over barrels from '99 before starting in with the '00 barrels. Either way, I still say you're going to love it. When I went looking for mine, I specifically wanted the long barrel/short magazine combo and that's what I got. I'm sure glad I did too. I love that gun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah I do really like this gun. I spent a couple hours cleaning the gun when I first got it. It was so gummed up! Now it shoots very well. Now all I need to do is refinish the stock and add swivel studs for a strap or try to find a DLX stock for sale.

edit* added swivel studs :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would I have a birch stock or walnut stock on this model? Sorry I don't know my woods. From pictures its hard to compare because how dirty mine seems. I will be refinishing the stock sometime in the near future.

Dog was helping me install studs. Laptop case sling was just to see how it would look, will not be using this as a sling lol

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
looks like walnut to me... welcome to the forum!! congrats on the "new" gun also!!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I think every year, Marlin used whatever barrels they wanted. :) I have seen 60s with quite a variety of barrels.

I like long barrels, for the sight radius and the quietness of the shooting. Try a 50-pack of CCI brand "CB Longs". You will have to cycle the action by hand because they don't have the recoil to cycle it for you, but they are silent, out of a 22" barrel. A quiet [pop] out of a 20". I fired one, from inside the house, into the backyard, once, with no earplugs. Just as quiet.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The dog is asking "Is this where squirrels come from? I'd like to place an order for two please? On the hoof."

The stock looks like pretty nice birch. It tends to look very bland if you don't strip-re-stain it. I have seen some amazing results, on YouTube with re-doing Marlin's birch stocks. Makes me seriously wonder why they don't do it from the factory.

Dogs are good at helping work on guns. Cats, not so much. They are more the anarchy animal. All parts must be spread out in as many directions as possible. Small parts MUST be shoved under baseboards and beneath carpets.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Lmao @ pet reference

So that's one vote walnut and one vote birch? Lol.

About ammunition I've shot about 600 rounds through it. Cci mini mags, mini mag hp, cb longs, velocitors, stingers, and some I think they were called wildcats that I got when I bought the gun.
I also just bought some cci quiet 22s and wanted to see how those do.
Absolutely love the gun. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Haha once I find out what kind of wood this really is haha

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Nice looking gun there, I'm sure you will enjoy it. If you can, Try posting a close-up pic of the stock and we might be able to identify it. Kinda looks like walnut but can't be sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heres a couple more shots of it.

Gf shooting it

Next to my o/u

When I first bought it

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I don't see a gun in the second picture. Is it like a "Where's Waldo" and I'll see it if I look long enough?

Like I heard there's a motorcycle in this photo. Heck if I can find it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Shoot, I can't even find the Mustang. But getting back to the question at hand, I believe your stock is birch. It just doesn't show enough grain to be walnut. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

close up near trigger

inside of the wood

Buttstock

and thanks to skinnersights,
I went from this

to this

and ended with this

I wanted to remove the front sights but not loose the possibility to put it back on in the future if need be, plus when I bought mine it was missing the rear iron sights.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If you strip it and re-stain that wood, before sealing with Tru-Oil, I think the grain will really come out in that gun. Stripping inside knurling can be a much larger chore. I'd skip it. Just shoot the heck out of it :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Nice job on touching up the bluing. What did you use?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just the small bottle that they were selling at skinnersights.

So any idea which wood it is for certain?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I still vote birch, but either way it's a nice looking piece of wood.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts