Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

A first post here for me and I hope I put this in the right spot...

My son shoots a Model 60 and when cleaning it the other night, he popped something loose and now the hammer will basically over travel and the hammer spring will come off the strut. Normally I can figure this stuff out, but Im drawing a blank on this one. I did stick a piece of wire in the end of the strut to avoid playing "find the spring" as I looked it over and tested things.

Anyone have an idea of what I should be looking for? If needed I can post pictures easily enough.

Thanks

Corey

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Sounds like you lost a part, #34, hammer strut bridge. If you don't have a factory manual go to Numrich, when you search Marlin Model 60 a schematic will show. If part is lost you'll need to order one. Sometimes when cleaning if not careful you can rotate the strut bridge, you'll need to look at the schematic to see what your issue may be.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Second on longislandloco, download the schematic and keep it, the model 60s are not hard to work on, great rifles, and welcome to MO, gun guys here are more then willing to help.
BUT be careful of the Marlin Bug, you might just catch it from us........:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
16,040 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Did he release the hammer with the action separated from the receiver?
Normally, the hammer is stopped from over traveling by the back face of the bolt. When the action is separated, there is nothing to keep the hammer from over traveling and the hammer strut can pop out of the bridge, with the resulting spring hunt that follows. With everything assembled, this can't happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea, I had to buy one of those before. It went flying across the room and I never found it. Now, I release the hammer if I have to take that section apart. Usually, I just remove that section, take it out to the garage, rinse it with mineral spirits and blast it with the air compressor to get a thorough clean on that part of the gun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

I do still have the strut bridge. What is happening is the hammer is over traveling, and the hammer strut (#33) comes out of the strut bridge (#34), and then the hammer spring (#33) can come off the strut. Ive never seen something happen like this before, and I grew up shooting Model 60's, which is why Im drawing a blank. Ill get some pictures up tonite.

And yeah, Marlins run strong in my family. I grew up shooting a 39A, a 60, and a 336 in 30/30. :)

·
Registered
7,432 Posts

I do still have the strut bridge. What is happening is the hammer is over traveling, and the hammer strut (#33) comes out of the strut bridge (#34), and then the hammer spring (#33) can come off the strut. Ive never seen something happen like this before, and I grew up shooting Model 60's, which is why Im drawing a blank. Ill get some pictures up tonite.

And yeah, Marlins run strong in my family. I grew up shooting a 39A, a 60, and a 336 in 30/30. :)
I have shot 60's for close to fifty years, it's common. The hammer over travels because no bolt is stopping it, happens to a few of my 60's, after a while you remember which ones to be extra careful with.

·
Registered
831 Posts

I do still have the strut bridge. What is happening is the hammer is over traveling, and the hammer strut (#33) comes out of the strut bridge (#34), and then the hammer spring (#33) can come off the strut. Ive never seen something happen like this before, and I grew up shooting Model 60's, which is why Im drawing a blank.
Of my three model 60's, one will pop off when the hammer is released with it separated from the receiver some of the time. The other two don't do it at all. Probably do to variations in tolerances of the parts from the manufacturing process. Out of habit, if I have to trip the hammer with the action removed from the receiver, I hold the hammer and release it slowly to keep the strut from coming out of the bridge. Or, you can do like you have been doing, and put the wire loop in the hole of the strut. Pretty sure that's why there is a hole there in the first place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have shot 60's for close to fifty years, it's common. The hammer over travels because no bolt is stopping it, happens to a few of my 60's, after a while you remember which ones to be extra careful with.
Of my three model 60's, one will pop off when the hammer is released with it separated from the receiver some of the time. The other two don't do it at all. Probably do to variations in tolerances of the parts from the manufacturing process. Out of habit, if I have to trip the hammer with the action removed from the receiver, I hold the hammer and release it slowly to keep the strut from coming out of the bridge. Or, you can do like you have been doing, and put the wire loop in the hole of the strut. Pretty sure that's why there is a hole there in the first place.
So your telling me this is a common occurrence? Will it hurt to leave the wire in the end of the hammer strut to avoid it coming apart when I have the gun apart?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yes, leave the spring in until you have reassembled the firing mechanizm. There are any number of firearms that need paperclips or other pieces of wire stuck in holes during disassembly, Ruger Blackhawk for another. There are any number of guns that will throw pieces across the room for you if you aren't careful; I too have bought a second strut bridge for my Mod. 60, and an operating spring for my Browning Buckmark (I found the spring 2 years later while I was emptying the basement to move)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, leave the spring in until you have reassembled the firing mechanizm. There are any number of firearms that need paperclips or other pieces of wire stuck in holes during disassembly, Ruger Blackhawk for another. There are any number of guns that will throw pieces across the room for you if you aren't careful; I too have bought a second strut bridge for my Mod. 60, and an operating spring for my Browning Buckmark (I found the spring 2 years later while I was emptying the basement to move)
I should phrased my question more clearly

If I leave the small piece of wire on the hammer strut will it hurt anything while firing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Arrow and the rest of you guys.

I preach safety to my kids and wife while using a firearm. I would look pretty stupid if I didnt practice :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts