Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the value of a model 57 Marlin with a letter H on the lever in average condition? I have a chance to buy one and need to know a ballpark price. Does the letter H mean it was made in 1951?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Come on guys. Somebody out there has got to know something about this rifle. I also have a chance to buy one but have never herd of the Model 70 before and am curious about the performance as well as the price.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Not familiar with this levermatic model, my 2004 standard catalog of Firearms states, Exc 200, VG 155, Good 100, Fair 75, Poor 50. The 57 was manufactured from 1959-65 34,268 manufactured. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just received my Dad's Model 57M - previously was owned by my Grandfather.
Rifle does not have any serial numbers, and appears to be from around 1960.

I mounted a Bushnel 3-9 x 32 scope on it using taller rings than the factory weaver rings.

GunsAmerica auctions would indicate that this rifle is worth about $350 - $400. Of course, it's worth what you get for it. In my case, it's a family heirloom I will never sell....but shoot quite often.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
tdb,

Does your 57 have an aluminum or steel receiver,I know the 56 came both ways and the 57M 22 magnum came only in steel.Not sure about the 57 22LR,all I'v ever seen were aluminum.Around here(SW Va.)one in good condition will bring $200 or more.A steel rcceiver should demand another $50.
Hope this helps.
mp

·
Registered
12 Posts
57 M Levermatic

I removed the action-barrel from the stock and blasted-out all the grit and grease from years of storage. The receiver consists of three pieces - top part which has a compound-curve back, and a left & right side plate. The parts are blued steel.
The bolt assembly is a steel forging, and the carrier pieces look to be steel as well.
I wouldn't want to disassemble and reassemble the action without a detailed manual. Hoppe's Gun Blaster made quick work of the clean-up, then sprayed with CLC.
Stock is not the nicest piece of walnut, but the rifle is well balanced and the Bushnell scope is at a perfect height vis-a-vis the cheek rest on the stock.
Tomorrow I shoot this rifle for the first time. Don't think Dad has shot it in 20 or so years.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Dave,
I dont think you will be disappointed in your 57M,just remember the safty has to be in the FIRE position to work the lever when unloading live ammo.SO pour unfired rounds out the front of the tube,replace the inner magazine tube, point the rifle in a safe direction,flip the safty to FIRE and with your finger away from the trigger work the lever 3 or 4 times. You may eject two or more live rounds,inspect the chamber, it should be empty.Look down on the lifter,the orange follower should be visable,if it is,your rifle is unloaded.HAVE FUN :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also note the the dovetail securing the tube magazine to the barrel is loose - got an easy fix for that....brass shim maybe?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Photos of Marlin 57

Just got back from the range. This is a great rifle to shoot. Slick action, and accurate.

Now I need to practice aiming thru a scope!
Look for photos in the gallery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts