Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Model 56 (I guess that's redundant), and would like to know if anyone has advice for sighting it in. I've put about 30 - 40 rounds through it at the range, and it's reasonably accurate at short distance (~15 yards), but i would like to sight it in at 25 yards (standard for 22LR?). I know that for the larger calibers they make laser bore-sights that you can chamber like a regular round, but I have not seen one for 22LR. I do have a rifle vise and a spotting scope. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bushnell makes a laser bore sighter that fits in the end of the barrel can be found at walmart, cabellas,or any sporting goods store they have different fittings for 22 up to 50 cal they run between 39.00 to 49.00.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Do you really have it? No pics......:flute:
I have an older Model 56 (I guess that's redundant), and would like to know if anyone has advice for sighting it in. I've put about 30 - 40 rounds through it at the range, and it's reasonably accurate at short distance (~15 yards), but i would like to sight it in at 25 yards (standard for 22LR?). I know that for the larger calibers they make laser bore-sights that you can chamber like a regular round, but I have not seen one for 22LR. I do have a rifle vise and a spotting scope. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Even using a bore-sight, you're still gonna have to shoot it to make your final adjustments... if it's on at 15 yards, then shoot it at whatever distance you plan to use for final sighting in. Most folks start at 25 yards, then finally sight in at from 60 to 75 yards, but YOU decide what final distance you use.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Laserlyte is another make of spud-type boresighter, they have two models, one goes from .177-.22 for the airgun and rimfire crowd, the other goes from .22 to .50(12 ga with adapter) for everything else. Any boresighter will just get you on the paper, anything closer is pure luck. I've gotten stripped down versions of their units from wally world(cheaper case).

I usually sight in .22 rimfire rifles at 75 yards. You'll have to determine your needs, though.

Stan S.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sighting in

There's no substitute for hard work. I like to work my way out from no more than 25 yds and carefully get on target as I go. I like to use an ammo that is likely to be what I will use because Point Of Impact can vary. I like 50 yds for 22lr and 75 for 22wmr. Are you using open sights? Is the adjustment of open sights what you're really asking? Also, once you are sighted in, even pen if it is only at 25yds, it wouldn't be a bad idea to see what ammo works best in your rifle. This too can vary substantially.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Like Ratwrangler, work your way out using paper targets. Before making a sight change, try several brands of ammo to see what groups best. Of course, if you don't have a stash of ammo, since its awful hard to find now, you best find a friend. let us know where you are - I'm sure someone will help.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think bore sighters are a waste of money. Even with the best ones you still have to do some adjustments when shooting at a target. On bolt guns I bore sight them at 25yds that gets you close. With auto or lever I shoot at the 50yd berm and adjust close to point of aim then shoot at paper for final zero.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts