Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Marlin Model 47 - research project

6K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  gewehr 
#1 ·
I have decided to try and catalog as much information as possible on the Marlin Model 47 pump rifle offered in 1930-31. This was a non-catalogued rifle, offered by choice only with a purchase of 4 shares of stock. VERY little information is known about these rifles. If you are an owner, or know of owners that would like to participate with information and / or pictures, please contact me by PM or email. I am especially interested in serial codes, mag tube closure, front and rear sights, buttplate, etc. THANKS in advance for spreading the word and participating! Information provided will be considered confidential, and published only with owners consent.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Marlin Model 47 - ATTENTION ALL OWNERS! database project

Dear Marlin collectors:
I have selected 5 categories of information to track, and would be highly grateful if all Model 47 owners can supply this information to me via email or PM. No personal information will be shared or distributed! I am undertaking this project to build a statistical database of features for the rare Marlin Model 47, offered only in 1930-31 as a "gift" choice for purchasers of 4 shares of Marlin stock.
THANKS in advance for your cooperation and participation!!!

SERIAL# _ _ _ _
all known are 4 digits (you may provide "x" in last digit for privacy if you wish)

TANG MARKING MOD.47 or Marlin No_47
2 different tang markings are known (block letters or script), may be possible to distinguish offering year with this

REAR SIGHT Fixed height or Adjustable (Rocky Mountain)
Rocky mountain adjustable site was noted as "standard" by Brophy

FRONT SIGHT Brass bead or Ivory bead or Other
no information exists; use "other" when bead or entire site is missing

BARREL/MAG TUBE distance (in. or cm.) from end of mag tube to end of barrel
standard barrel is 23" round; distance distinguishes whether barrel has been cut down or different mag tubes were used

#3 ·
1Q2011 database update: 100% reported/known have 4 digit serial code and script model marking on tang; fixed rear sight is the norm, along with 23" barrel. Thanks for contributing, and please keep the information coming in on your rare Model 47 rifles!!!

#5 ·
I have seen some past auctions with Model 47's, would you like me to get you that info that they have for you project?
If you need it it will take a few days, putting in extra hours at work. And have to remember were all of them were. ???
I know that Rock Island and Julia's had some.

#6 ·
That would be fantastic, and MUCH appreciated! I have captured some information from the internet selling sites, but not the big auction houses. Some sellers I contacted have also been reluctant to reply, or respond with any information. :( ???
I welcome the information, any time! No rush, I know this will be a long term project... ;D best regards, gewehr

#7 ·
E-mail sent. There hopefully should be 4 more that you can add to your database

#8 ·
email received - many thanks! 2 of these represent the lowest serial numbers recorded (Brophy did not catalog ANY 3 digit numbers). Also, good to see the Rocky Mountain rear site on others besides my rifle ;) Although Brophy mentioned this as standard, the numbers do not bear it out... yet!? Thanks again for your contribution!!!

#9 ·
3Q2011 database update:

2 rifles have been picture verified with 3 digit serial codes, and the highest serial number rifle reported by Brophy has been found/confirmed! The current known range of serial numbers is thus 230 - 5101, likely indicating total production was in the range of 5000 rifles.
Approximately 20% of the rifles reported have the Rocky Mountain adjustable rear sight, with no obvious link to production timing.
Only 1 rifle has been identified with the non-script, MOD.47 tang marking.

Many thanks to all who have already contributed information; please keep it coming in!!!

#10 ·
#13 ·
Judge what year catalog? I looked in the 30's and 31's that I have and it is not in ether. I am working on a book on the catalogs,
and would be interested in knowing of a different variation.

#15 ·
The Model 47 is listed in the 1929 sears,roebuck and co. catalog. it is listed as
New Marlin Model 47
22- caliber Takedown
Repeating Rifle
$15.98 The interesting thing about the add is that it is listed as having a 22 inch barrel.
Everything i have ever read I thought listed it as having a 24 inch barrel . I will try to get this
add posted on this site.I have never found it cataloged in the old Marlin catalogs either.

#18 ·
I thought the same thing Parley when I saw the 22 inch barrel listed, other than the 22 inch
barrel it is described in the norm.for the Model 47. The sears add also lists the Model 37,39
and the Model 50. It lists the Savage Model 99,Winchesters Model 53,94,92,55,54,04,06,90
but there is no mention of the Marlin Model 93 or the 94. I thought that was also interesting
as I was originally studying the add searching for clues as to the Marlin 93 and 94.
Happy New Year Marlin 1893

#19 ·
Is there an actual date printed on the Sears ad? The Model 50 didn't come out till 1931.

#20 ·
Schtoolee: Yes the catalog was 1929,the Model 50 is at the top of the page but it is a Page Lewis
Bolt Action 22. There is no date on the page and I will have to try and find the original catalog as
it was in very poor condition so any one with an old sears 1929 catalog It wouldn't hurt to check and
make double sure I wrote the date down wrong.

#21 ·
#22 ·
#23 ·
E-mailed you 6 more that I hope you need. Some are just ser# others have pictures that I found while looking for the 32's and 38's.
Just to let you know you e-mail address no longer shows up on your profile page. I had to add mine to my project page.

Tom

#24 ·
2Q2012 database update:

Many additions this quarter (with special thanks to Schtoolee)

The current known range of serial numbers is 230 - 5101
Approximately 10% of the rifles reported have the Rocky Mountain adjustable rear sight, with no obvious link to production timing. The 23" round barrel is standard, and it appears the fixed rear sight was normal, with the Rocky Mountain rear only upon special order? Other adjustable sights have appeared, but are known to be more modern designs and simply replacements...
Only 1 rifle has been identified with the non-script, MOD.47 tang marking.

Please continue to contribute!​

#25 ·
Recently picked up a Model 47 at auction, I was suprised when I started researching it. I along with everyone else didnt realize what it actually was. Seller had a very nice collection of Win. 1890's and 1906's, the 47 was in as good or better shape. The Winchester's sold at $1000.00 + so I was pleasantly suprised to get the Model 47 for $375.00, I would say it is about 90%. So to help with your research please add this to your records.
Serial # 1440
Tang marked: MOD 47 (one line no marlin script)
sights: Fixed
Barrell Length From muzzle end to where face meets chamber it's 22"
Rear of Front Sight to End of Barrell 1"
Rear Sight to Reciever 3"

#26 ·
1Q2014 database update:

Many additions since last update (continued thanks to Schtoolee and other members!) I now have information on >1% of the suspected production total of this model - don't laugh, the surviving rifles are ~85 years old! :)

The current known range of serial numbers is 230 - 5101 (only 2 verified with 3 digit serial numbers)
Less than 10% of the rifles reported have the Rocky Mountain adjustable rear sight, with no obvious link to production timing. This appears to have been a special order item only. The 23" round barrel and fixed rear sight are standard. The non-script, MOD.47 tang marking is present on ~15% of the rifles, all but one exist in the serial number area of 1200 to 1800. There are no rifles reported in broad serial ranges of 600 to 1100, and 3800 to 4200; otherwise most 100 digit levels include at least one reported rifle.
Some members have questioned whether this rifle may have shared serial numbers with other models (thus reducing greatly the numbers thought produced). The only other pump rifles offered at the time were the model 37 and model 27S, and more investigation is required to rule in favor of, or completely disregard, this potential. Model 37 numbers "should" have been in the 5 digit range by this time, and the model 27S receiver was much larger to accomodate centerfire cartridges, likely meaning different production periods and lines being utilized.
Please continue to contribute information and thoughts - all is appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.