Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Marlin Model 39AS

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  djh 
G
#1 ·
I am looking at a Model 39AS but know nothing about this rebounding hammer.

Can anyone give me any info on it and does this pose any problems I should know about?

I like the looks of the 39 but have never owned one.

Thanks for your response.

#2 ·
djh

Marlin added the hammer-block safety, along with the rebounding hammer, to the Model 39A in 1988 and changed the designation to the Model 39AS. The hammer-block safety prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin even though the trigger can be pulled and the hammer released. The rebounding feature keeps the hammer from touching the firing pin when the hammer is not in the fully cocked position and allows the safety to be engaged and disengaged when the hammer is in this position.

Only problems I'm aware of is occasionally someone will forget to set the safety to the "off" position before they take their shot or in rare instances someone complains about misfires due to light firing pin strikes. The latter is often due to either a weak hammer spring or the rebounding feature was incorrectly set at the factory. Both these causes can be corrected easily and as I said they are rare problems. Hope this helps

Tom

G
#6 ·
I got the 39as I purchased in today. Really looks good.

I have a question? Am I to assume since the s/n starts with 0725xxxx it was manufactured in the year 2000?

Also what is the web-sites that have the year of manufacture for Marlins?

I found web-sites for the older guns but none for the newer and I know their are some out there. Could sure use some help.

Thanks,

#7 ·
Your rifle was made in 1993. Take the first two didgits and subtract from 2000. This is good from 1973 to 2000. From 2001 and on take the first two didgets and subtract from 2100. From about 1940 to the late 1960's Marlin used letter prefixes to determine the date of manufacture. Then the first two didgits was the actual year of manufacture until 1972. 72XXXX would have been manufactured in 1972. One with EXXXX would have been manufactured in 1948 as an example. Parley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.