Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I am new to the site. I have a one owner, (my Dad bought it "new" right after WW2), 39A in really good condition that I inherited. I have fired it some and it is as accurate as I can get with the original sights. It does not have the pre-drilled and tapped holes for the scope mount and I was wondering if there is anything that I can do without having the holes drilled and tapped on the top of the reciever to mount a scope. Different type of sights...maybe?

I learned how to shoot on this rifle and have recently taken up shooting again after thirty-five years. The serial number is C 103XX, (it was suggested that I not give the entire serial number), and the C could be lower case. Not from being worn, it just looks smaller than the numbers and there is a space between the letter and the numbers. It is really in amazing shape. It has been, (and still is), maintained very well over the years with just some wear and marks on the inside from being fired. No rust at all! Barrel is immaculate!

Any ideas for sights or a date of manufacture would be great.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welome from Abilene and Goldthwaite, TX! There's a bunch of 39 folks around here who will probably be along shortly with help! Glad you're here. John

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Welcome, from DFW, Texas

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcome in the MO Forum from Germany!
Great folks, profound knowledge and good humour are here to be found.
Enjoy

·
Premium Member
6,502 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!! the DOB of your 39A is 1946.(lower case c)

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi Creekelly and welcome from Bundaberg, Australia.

·
Super Moderator
15,864 Posts
Welcome from Olympia, WA; in the great Pacific Northwest -
THE "ORIGINAL (North Haven, CT Rifles) MARLIN®" COUNTRY!

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from Piedmont North Carolina, home of the Tar Heels.

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi Creekelly, I'm from NE Florida near Jacksonville. This forum is very informative and friendly. Welcome aboard. Marla

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Welcome to MOs from NE Florida.

As far as different sighting systems for a non-drilled and tapped 39, the only thing I can suggest as practical is a receiver sight. I believe that Williams makes one to fit your rifle if the left side of the receiver has the two holes that are necessary for mounting it there.

There is one remote possibility, however to scope it without drilling and tapping the receiver. Some time back, I bought a special mount and scope system known as the Bushnell Phantom. It is mounted to the rear sight dovetail in the fashion of a scout scope setup or for pistols. My mount was made to fit a Winchester 94, but there is the possibility that they made one to fit the Marlin 39. You'll have to do a search at the various on-line auction sites to try to find the mount and the scope. I forget where I ordered the mount from, but I got the scope, a 2.5X, on Gun Broker for about $50.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Hello from the top of Illnoise
Welcome to Marlin Owners
Best place to get lost in on line ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts