·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Side note here...

I am looking at the Marlin Model 39A - 22LR website
now.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/22Rifle/Golden39A.aspx

I have a very nice Winchester 94-22 and a very nice Browning in a BL22 - the fancier model and better walnut.

I don't "need" (LOL) another firearm but this one looks pretty neat. My husband says that it comes apart or is a take down model for cleaning. I know that this is a famous firearm and many of you have spoken highly of it here and elsewhere.

Are the brand new models (NIB) pretty decent in quality and have you heard any reports of any problems? I have always bought NIB and NOT had any problems although they can happen with new or used firearms from what I have "heard or read".

I sold my Marlin Papoose that my late husband plinked with more than me because I PREFER lever actions in rifles although I am more of a REVOLVER lady. It is still in the family... my new groom bought it and loves it. :)

I love to shoot 22LR and 45Colt the most.

Thanks for any or all information on any "problems" with this model IF there are any.

Montana Lady
PS: He still plans on getting another Model 1895SS 45-70 in the Guide Gun version.

·
Banned
843 Posts
There have been assorted reports of QC issues with new model 39a's...such as heavy or gritty triggers, improperly installed sights or indexed barrels, wood fit...things like that, how common? Probably rare. I perfer the Marlins from the 1950's era and was lucky to find a 'mountie' born in 1955, which is just great. If I could not find a vintage 39a I would not hestitate buying a new one, and just deal with any problems if it had any. They are elegant rifles and good luck with your search for one.

..............TM7

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The biggest problem I've found is the tendancy to buy more than one... I have three and I have yet to see one I didn't want to buy.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Wet Dog's right - the biggest problem with 39A's, and M's for that matter, is you always seem to need another.

I will also concur that the newer models don't have the "smoothness" and finish quality of the older guns. If you can find a 50's gun, grab it.

They also made several variations of the 39's, such as the Centenial and the NRA guns, which has octagon bls, as did the 39A and 39M octagon models done in the early 70's, with leftover bbls from the Centenials and NRA gun runs. They made 39D's, carbines, and there are a few of the 30AWL guns floating around, which have 24"bbl, fancy wood, 2/3 mag tube, and gold "engraving"..........I would highly recommend a 39A or 39M - you'll wonder how you got along without one.... So take your time and cruise the online auction sites and GunsAmerica - you'll find the perfect one before too long.

Shum8

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would try and find a used one. The online auction sites have one available every now and then. The older ones without the crossbolt safety and the rebounding hammer are much nicer in my opinion. I have a '65 model that I will NEVER sell. It's that good. I will go out on a limb here and say that almost everyone who could, would buy the vintage rifle over the new one if they could hold both side by side first.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I sold a Golden 39A Mountie (I think 1960 DOM), so I could buy a NIB 1897CB. I hardly ever shoot the '97CB because I prefer my .32mag. and .45. I know I probably haven't shot it enough to break it in completely, but I don't think it will ever be as good a shooter as the Mountie. It was so easy to kill squirrels with the Mountie, I actually bought a Traditions Crockett .32 muzzleloader so the squirrels would have a chance. Now I use the .32 for squirrels, it's almost as accurate as the Mountie was.

C.S.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the input. I love my 22s in my 2 rifles and in my revolvers.

Lots of bang for the buck = $$$. :)

ML

·
Registered
24 Posts
ML,

I, too, am very fond of all my .22LR caliber weapons. In fact, if for some reason I was forced to select one caliber only and could have as many weapons in that caliber as I wanted, I'd choose the 22LR in a heartbeat. It certainly isn't the prescribed medicine for everything, but with that caliber in different types of weapons, I could make out.

I also suggest patience and time spent looking for an older model 39A. I'd take a new one, but I'd much rather have an older one, even for the same money. I'm fortunate to own both a regular 39A as well as a Mountie model. They are among my favorite firearms, especially the Mountie.

My problem is that my old eyes have really handicapped me with iron sights. I still like and use receiver peep sights, but regular sights are just flat out of the question. I have scoped my 39A because of that situation. I don't like the way it looks now, but it works. I just can't bring myself to mar the good looks of the Mountie, so it's not what I use for hunting since I will NOT scope it.

It's really hard to beat the 39A's. If you settle for a new one, spend a bit of time really inspecting it closely and operate the action several times with your eyes closed. Any new gun requires a breakin period after which some things begin to smooth up and work better, but some problems won't be improved with that. If the overall appearance and construction and feel and function suit you, then you'll probably be happy, even with a new one. But if you can find a good used one that has a bit of age and honest use showing, you'll probably like that even more. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dear Pudge,

Thanks for the input. I agree with you on that and I have several 22s in various styles of firearms.

Sincerely,

ML

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dont get the wrong idea here though. I still feel that a new production 39a is the finest sporting .22 a person can buy. I have a mint 58 and a mint 05 and while the 58 is smoother, the newer one shoots a bit better and has a nicer stick of wood on it. I will NEVER get rid of either and if can afford another in the future and i see a good deal...its mine. I have a 9422 as well and i absolutly love it, but i do tend to favor the 39a...i dont really know why.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I recieved a small inheritance when I was a child and my Grandmother suggested I use it for something that would benefit my life. I think she was referring to education. I bought a 39A Article II NRA Centennial. 35 years and approximately 75,000 rounds later, I purchased an 1897 Cowboy. Other than the better sights on the older model, I like them both. This mornings groups with the 1897 were no better or worse and it liked all ammo equally. I felt somewhat like a traitor when I went to the range with the newer rifle today, but my Article II is still my favorite in my ever growing family of Marlin siblings. As to problems, never in 35 of active use!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yep, if (god forbid) I could only have one .22 rifle, it would have to be a 39A with Lyman 66 peep. It's just the sweetest handling, nicest shooting, impressively accurate .22 I know of. ( Beats the pants off my winchester 9422 IMHO) .

Get it and enjoy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts