Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marlin Model 39 "S" Serial number

I'm new to the forum and in fact, this is my first post. I normally collect older S&W's but have recently picked up a few Marlins. I would appreciate a little info on a rifle I am looking to purchase locally. It is a Marlin 39, serial number S54XX.
Very good condition with no rust or pitting, receiver and lever have pretty much turned patina and clean bore. The wood looks extremely good except that in some point in time it has been refinished. Older scope mounted.I know they were made between 1922-1938 but have been unable to nail date exact year of manf. The seller is asking $1200 for the gun. I would appreciate your opinion on date made and if this is a fair price. Sorry, no pics but may be able to get some later.

Thank you in advance and have a Blessed Day !

·
Registered
125 Posts
Re: Marlin Model 39 "S" Serial number

That does not sound like a $1200 gun to me. The refinish kills the collector value, as does the drill and tap (unless there is some provenence indicating a factory job). Maybe the scope is worth something????

I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
496 Posts

If I had to pick a date of manufacture maybe 1927.

·
Registered
271 Posts

John, It sounds high to me also ,because of the condition. If you do happen to buy it you should only shoot standard velocity ammo in it. those older 39's were not made for high velocity ammo. Supposedly the bolt is a little weak to shoot H.V.. i have a few of them and they are great little rifles, slick action. Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank all of you so much for the info ! I will try and post some pics of it this weekend.

Thanks again and have a Blessed Day !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts