Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious,

I'm relatively new to the Marlin lever family, I have a 39A (1996), a Model 39 Century Limited, and actually bought a 2nd Century Limited last week on gunbroker..

My question is,

Is the Century Limited basically a Mountie, or altogether a different rifle entirely?

I was looking for a nice Mountie when I stumbled up on my first CL, but I was intrigued by the octagon barrel so thought I'd buy the CL first and a Mountie later on..

But, just looking at the CL, excluding the octagon barrel it "looks" like a Mountie to me, with a little brass "bling" added...

Just curious..

Thanks!

Jesse

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
The Mountie has a straight stock, and a 20" barrel vice the 24" barrel. ;) Everything else is the same as a normal 39A. Roll stamp on the barrels may say Mountie or Golden Mountie.

CJ

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cascade Jinx said:
The Mountie has a straight stock, and a 20" barrell vice the 24" barrell. ;) Everything else is the same as a normal 39A. Roll stamp on the barrels may say Mountie or Golden Mountie.
CJ

Hi CJ:

Well, the Century Limited has a straight stock and 20" 2397.jpg barrel.....?

Thanks,

Jesse

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1895Gunner said:
Nice rifle; there were 34,197 of these made in 1970. Sold for $125.00
Mountie Barrel lengths:
Introduced in 1953 - 24" barrel
Introduced in 1954 - 20" barrel

Hi 1895Gunner:

I really like the CL.. It shoots like a dream, but there seems to be a gray area, or at least there's a gray area between my ears on this matter, as to whether the Century Limited IS basically a Mountie, or something else entirely.

Or, IF I went out and bought a Mountie (after 1953) with a 20" barrel wouldn't it basically be the same rifle as my Century Limited, with the exceptions of the octagonal barrel, & the few brass parts?

I'm just ignorant about the variations within the Marlin 39 family, and curious as to how this particular little lever action rifle fits within those variations..

Thanks!

Jesse

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
PX said:
Hi 1895Gunner:

I really like the CL.. It shoots like a dream, but there seems to be a gray area, or at least there's a gray area between my ears on this matter, as to whether the Century Limited IS basically a Mountie, or something else entirely.

Or, IF I went out and bought a Mountie (after 1953) with a 20" barrel wouldn't it basically be the same rifle as my Century Limited, with the exceptions of the octagonal barrel, & the few brass parts?

I'm just ignorant about the variations within the Marlin 39 family, and curious as to how this particular little lever action rifle fits within those variations..

Thanks!

Jesse
Gosh Jesse, that is one sweet looking rifle! Can't get over it. I don't even own one model 39 (yet) so I'm sure no expert. I just read what is printed in Brophy's book and what's been typed by others here.

That being said, I think that they are one in the same less the trim and octagon barrel. There are some octagon barreled Mounties though besides the CL's.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1895Gunner said:
Gosh Jesse, that is one sweet looking rifle! Can't get over it. I don't even own one model 39 (yet) so I'm sure no expert. I just read what is printed in Brophy's book and what's been typed by others here.
That being said, I think that they are one in the same less the trim and octagon barrel. There are some octagon barreled Mounties though besides the CL's.

Hi Again Gunner,

I'm thinking the Century Limited and the Mountie are pretty much the same rifle. Not sure dedicated Mountie lovers might agree.

Hope you will be able to get yourself a 39 of some description before long..

I love my 1996 39A Original Golden, and it's awesomely accurate, but I really like the way the smaller Century shoots as well.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Don't worry about it, a CL is the same as a Mountie, with, as you said, bling. ;) Nice rifle, by the way. I'll give you $125 towards a real Mountie for it. ;D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MarlinXL7 said:
Don't worry about it, a CL is the same as a Mountie, with, as you said, bling. ;) Nice rifle, by the way. I'll give you $125 towards a real Mountie for it. ;D

Hi XL7,

Hey.. What a deal!!!

Tell ya what..

Go stand by the telephone.
Wait for it to not ring..
When it does not ring, it will be me not calling..

But..

I appreciate the offer.. :)

Best Wishes,

Jesse

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Sure thing, Jesse. How long do I need to wait for you not to ring? ;D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MarlinXL7 said:
Sure thing, Jesse. How long do I need to wait for you not to ring? ;D

Marlin:

Well, I guess it's up to you..

I'd say as long as you didn't want to talk to me if it didn't ring?

I'm old and retired, so I have plenty of time not to call, but if waiting for me not to call is inconvenient for you I'll wait not to call until another day?

Thanks!

Jesse

·
Registered
144 Posts
PX said:
Just curious,

I'm relatively new to the Marlin lever family, I have a 39A (1996), a Model 39 Century Limited, and actually bought a 2nd Century Limited last week on gunbroker..

My question is,

Is the Century Limited basically a Mountie, or altogether a different rifle entirely?

I was looking for a nice Mountie when I stumbled up on my first CL, but I was intrigued by the octagon barrel so thought I'd buy the CL first and a Mountie later on..

But, just looking at the CL, excluding the octagon barrel it "looks" like a Mountie to me, with a little brass "bling" added...

Just curious..

Thanks!

Jesse
If you go all the way back to the originals of the Marlin and Winchester leverguns, and I am generalizing here, the rifles were made with longer barrels (24" and longer), with a variety of options: half-octagon, full octagon, round, musket (for military contracts), half magazine, full-length magazine, and with a crescent-style buttplate or a shotgun (flatter) buttplate. The carbines, however, were designed to be handier, more compact guns that could potentially be used on horseback. The options for saddle-ring carbines were fewer, and typically they had a short barrel (20" and shorter), usually only available with a shotgun-style buttplate. The 19th-century leverguns were more utilitarian (with the exception of the wealthy who had them specially-engraved). Two good books for reference are Harold F. Williamson's WINCHESTER The Gun That Won The West and, of course, Col. William S. Brophy's book that most Marlin folks are familiar with, MARLIN FIREARMS A History of the Guns and the Company That Made Them.

Fast-forward to mid-20th century, following years of leverguns being used as props in westerns, when all kinds of commemorative guns were starting to be introduced: Octagon barrels and crescent-shaped buttplates imply "old", so many manufacturers in addition to Winchester and Marlin (joined by Rossi, Umberti, Navy Arms, etc). introduced special-edition carbines with all the bells and whistles, including saddle rings, an attachment long-since discontinued on most carbines since the horseless carriage gained favor.

All that being said, your rifle is absolutely beautiful and I'd sure love to own one! I wouldn't worry about whether or not it is a "Mountie", just shoot it and enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Jessie,

I think that pretty little octagon beauty CL you have would definitely qualify as a Mountie "with bling". ;D Great catch and a really nice litle rifle. My Mountie is 1960 Golden Mountie version with the 20" barrel and some nice walnut stocks. I found it about 6 months ago in a pawn shop and it is in excellant shape. I don't think it has been fired much at all. The action was still siff when I got it; like it had never been broke in by the previous owner. I manage to get it for $325, which around here is a good find. 8)

I find it to be extremely accurate (like most 39As), a joy to shoot (like most 39As), and I will never sell it (like most 39A owners). ;D ;D

CJ

·
Registered
832 Posts
I wrote this in a different thread you might find it interesting. Your 39 Century falls in between the "Golden 39A Mountie" of the 57-69 era and the 39M of the 73-87 era. There were also Article II's and 39 Octagons in that period.

This is an old thread with some good and some so so info in it. I will explain the Mountie history I have researched. Most has come from Brophys Marlin book, my guns as examples and Marlin catalogs. The Mountie was introduced in 1953 with a 24-inch barrel. The description in the 1953 catalog says it is a 20-inch barrel but the picture shows a 24-inch barrel. The 1954 guns had 20-inch barrels and the catalog has the correct 20-inch barrel pictured. 1953’s had Ballard rifling. There were 58 Ballard rifled 20 inch Mounties made in 1954. From 1953 thru late 1956-1957, the barrels were marked only 39A. The 1954 on with Micro Groove rifling say Micro Groove on the barrel, Ballard rifled say nothing. Marlin started to drill and tap the receivers for scope mounts in 1956. In 1957, the gold trigger, white line spacer and sling swivels were added. The barrels were marked “Golden 39A-Mountie". This continued through 1969. All mine from 1957-1968 say “Golden 39A Mountie on the barrel. In 1970, only the 39-Century Ltd was in the catalog. In 1971 the 39D, 39-Century, 39A Article II and 39M Article II were in the catalog. In 1972 the 39A, 39A Article II, 39M and 39 Century Ltd are in the catalog. In the description of the 39M, it refers to it as the “Mountie”. This description as a “Mountie” in in the catalogs for several more years. In 1973 the 39A, 39A Octagon, 39D, 39M, 39M Octagon and 39 Century Ltd are in the catalog. In 1974, only the 39A and 39M are in the catalog. The 1974 catalog is the first that the 39M is pictured with a square lever. I have a 1973 with a square lever and have never seen a 39M with a round lever. My early 39M’s have the same barrel as my late Golden 39A Mounteis. Some of the late 1970’s on 39M’s had a more tapered barrel but are not as slim as my 39 Carbines. The 39M was discontinued in 1987. It was replaced in 1988 with the 39TDS. The gold triggers were discontinued in 1982 and reinstated in 1985. As far as the question about gold painted lettering, on most of my guns I can see at least a trace of gold but I do not have any info as to whether all were painted gold or not. Hope this makes since and helps straighten the time line out

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there PX -- You have a pretty good handle on it now it seems. Basically the receiver is the same with different configurations hanging on the front and back. Your Limited has a crescent shaped butt stock whereas the Mounties were mostly straight. Here is the '65's butt stock. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tommie D said:
Marlin lists the Century Limited as a "handsomely appointed version of the 39M".

Hi Tommie,

I can live with "handsomely appointed version of the 39M"..... :)

In fact I can live with BOTH of my "handsomely appointed versions of the 39M"... ;)

Thanks for doing the research for me.

Jesse

·
Premium Member
11,580 Posts
Hey Jessee,

NICE RIFLE!.........

I'd look at the CL as being a really dressed up, more sophisticated and rarer Mountie. Mechanically, any 39 inner parts will fit for repair purposes. Octogons are always nice to own too.

Nice rifles...........Both of them.

Tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts