Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm not much of a Marlin collector, but I do appreciate old guns and I recently picked up this Marlin model 37 as a neat old plinking and hunting rifle. It needs to be cleaned up on the outside a bit and I need to locate a forend screw for it, but the original bore is in very good condition and it shoots well right out of the gate.

Wood Tool Hardwood Wood stain Varnish

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

I have read that high velocity .22 LR is not good for these older Marlin pumps. After noting the size of the locking bolt, I consider this wise advice and will only be shooting standard velocity and subsonic loads in it to minimize wear and tear on this old gun.

I would like your opinions though. Assuming standard velocity, is copper washed/plated .22 fine in these old guns, or should one stick to lubricated lead bullets? I'd like to take advantage of some black Friday deals and stock up on a few thousand rounds for this gun and others and was wondering if copper plated or washed projectiles will cause premature wear of the barrel, or if this is a non-concern.

Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You have a fine old 37. Those are quite hard to find.......anywhere. The 37 was the final rendition of the 18 and model 21 light pump frame gun. The next version was the 47 that has a much thicker receiver. All tho, the bolt lock up remained pretty much the same strength as the light frame 22s. I believe the reason for the thicker receiver was that the older thin walled ones were prone to getting bent to where the take down screw comes through. As for the ammo, most copper plated are hi vels but I think there may be some off brands that state standard vel in copper coated. CCI is the leader in the pack around here with very good accurate standard vel lead ammo. It doesn't matter what so ever as far as coated or not. Just as long as its of standard velocity. Now if your barrel has some mild pitting, Copper coated would be a tad less prone to leading the bore over lead bullets. Use CCI in sound report to be your standard to measure against any of the other "So Called" standard Vel ammo. Aside from a chronograph, the bang and pop sound report is pretty tell tail on whats in the box of off brand ammo.

·
Premium Member
16,874 Posts
I personally have not found any plated standard velocity, I shoot the CCI # 979 standard velocity in my Remington 40XB, High Standard Victor & S&W 41, because I do not shoot competition & cannot not shoot well enough for the ultra expensive Ely ammunition to make a big difference in my group sizes worthy of the cost difference

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
40+ years ago when I shot 4-position/50 foot indoor competition, we used Remington Target standard velocity 22's (we were sort of on the poor side of town, compared to some of the other clubs in the general area). They always shot at least as well as we could. I have no idea what the recent status of this ammo is, given all the issues Remington has had, or if it even still produced after the Remington breakup.

·
Premium Member
16,874 Posts
I also am not sure what Remington has kept in their new lineup under the Vista ownership, it appears if the have change the catalog numbers on a lot of ammo from what I can tell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts