Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Marlin rifle manufactured after Mid-2009 by the Remington Company that bough out Marlins Company, will have in a lot of cases very poor craftsmanship. The rifle assembly was changed from a gunsmith to a "Assemble Cell" process because "Remington" wanted to cut down production costs to look good on their bottom line. The recent changes that you see to a Model 336W rifle look awful and cheap. For example; some rifles have laminated gun stocks!! Come on Marlin/Remington, improve the quality of the Marlin Rifles as they once were in the past!

·
Registered
19,749 Posts
Welcome from South Florida and you are preachin' to the choir brother tucker! In case you haven't done so, check out a FEW of the posts HERE on MO on Marlington/Remlin: quality assurance (joke))/barrel droop/lock up/wood to metal fit/sight alignment/buggered screws/stock quality and so on and so on! They're reportedly gettin' better, but that's not sayin' much becaues they couldn't have gotten much worse or they'd have gone under IMO! Unfortunately "Marlin" (the great gun maker) is for the most part, just a memory IMO, as the company it once was is gone forever, replaced by a bunch of pencil pushers and "bottom line" guys lookin' to cut corners and ultimately make profits for their investors, quality be damned!

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Tucker, welcome to the Marlin experience from the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee! I think Remington may finally get it together, but at what cost? They have ruined a once-fabulous company in the name of maximized profits? The Remlins I've seen that are brand new production are far better than the 2009-2011 or so models, but still have a ways to go. Personally, I'm sticking to the JM Marlins. They are just in a class by themselves.

Ron

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Remington did manage to make some decent ones after mid-2009, actually.

Marlin-336-C&M-8hw.jpg

The bottom rifle is a 2011 model year 336C. It cycles like glass, has fairly good wood and fit, the sights are straight on it, it has very deep bluing, and it is very, very accurate.

You never what you're going to get with Remington. My late-2011 336BL is a fetid pile of offal, by comparison. Barrel droop (down AND to the right), poorly fitting stock (you can read every Marlin Owner's group posts through the gap between the wrist and the receiver) it cycles like a 1976 Gibson washing machine, the "Big Loop (TM)" lever doesn't fit in the trigger plate, the sights are crooked to the right, the trigger plate sticks out 1/8 of an inch below the receiver, the extractor doesn't extract anything half the time, the safety requires 500 ft/lbs to operate, and it shoots poorly to boot, unless 8 inch groups at 3 feet is acceptable...

You never know what surprises await you, an adventure in every box.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Welcome, and happy new year from Texas. I was educated about the differences between "vintage" Marlins and the new "Remlins" by reading the myriad posts in this forum. I am by no means a firearms expert. I was lusting after a 336 35 Remington. It took me a short evening of reading in this forum to convince me that I didn't want a newer gun. A few days earlier I looked at a 30-30 at Bass Pro and very nearly bought it on the spot, hearing that they were "hard to find" and the store couldn't keep them in stock. Hell, I thought, if you can't keep them in stock why's that one on the shelf? Glad I didn't make that mistake. Besides, I didn't like the look of the gun; the stock, the bluing--it just wasn't right. Then I went looking online and I ended up being the only bidder on Gunbroker for a drop-dead gorgeous 336 .35 manufactured in 1969--absolutely what I was looking for. I thought the price was right then, and history has proven that to be the case. I really got a good deal on a beautiful 336 that looks like it spent the last 30 years in someone's gun safe. I look forward to handing the gun down to one of my sons. I am only and always a JM Marlin guy.

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,
I'm new to the forum. I once had a 336c around 5 years ago. Sold it - BIG mistake. Now I'm shopping for another. I'm a little concerned about the latest versions (Remlins). Should I continue to wait for the quality to improve? I found one last week at the LGS and it looked pretty good. I held it side by side with a Henry 3030. The fit and overall looks and function were the same. Have the new Remlins finally turned the corner and now making a decent product?

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Well I love my 336W I bought at wally world on march of last year. Yes the stock is laminated but I look at my guns as tools, well cared for tools but tools none the less and a laminated stock when scratch is no big deal. and there was a few issues like one of the plugs on top of the reciever was stuck and the gun was not oiled properly causing a stiff movement on the lever and bolt but a little oil and some work both are good as new. It shoots striaght with scope or iron sights. It loves what I put in it except the leveroution ammo man it dont like that but I can shoot from the cheap PPU, federal,remington to winchester all differnt grains and the worse point of aim between all that is about 2-3 inchs.

But I have seen poorly made marlins dont get me wrong so if you gonna purchase one inspect it real good.

But on a side note I am in the process of purchaseing a 2007 1895 JM stamp 45-70 with a 26 inch octagon barrel man it is a beautiful rifle at lest to me it is since I always wanted one:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy the forum........................

·
Super Moderator
15,602 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Kansas!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts