Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my rookie neighbor out to buy his 1st deer rifle the other day. The 1st shop we hit had a pristene 336 with no other leter designation in 35 cal. It is a pistol grip with a smooth stock and NO cross bolt safety. The gun was from an estate sale and it still had its original box. To me the gun looks unfired as the hammer was still unmarked. The cost was $250.00 and I told him to jump on it. Can someone fill me in on what this is and its guesstimated worth. I tried to trade him one of my 336CS guns but he is reluctant.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Mike, I got my 35 Rem in trade but the asking price was 200 or 225. The stock had been broken and repaired and a new lever installed. There is almost no finish left on the exposed metal but I think it was cleaned with a rust and blueing remover. Like this one 336 w/o letters no CB safety. This one had been shot a bit and for me still shoots very well. My last 7 shots at the 100 yrd range went into less than 2". I am very happy with my butt ugly 35 and would have paid 225.00 for it and still been very happy. What is his gun worth?? I'm saying a steal at 250.00. Keep in mind that there are places where you just can't find 35's.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
$250 Is just fine with me. He should be able to get his money back any time. By the way, don't trade with him. You found a really neat pre-safty rifle for him, let him keep the first rifle he bought. Just ask for right of first refusal should he ever sell it.

I wish we could have all been there to see the look on his face the first time he racked the action... You gonna take him to the range?

SS

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You betcha! As soon as he can find time in his busy schedule. I offered to take him into the woods this fall and show him around a bit and teach him a few things about the whitetail. Made the offer while I was wearing a kevlar vest and told him now I am ready to go. Keep em guessing!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Custom Rodsmith,Around here a 336 in a 35 that is in good shape run around $250 to $300..The gun shop I do business with adds $50.00 to the price if he has the original box for the gun.He said if you have the box with it,that it tells the buyer that the last owner was a person that took care of his things. :roll: He told me this when I was trying to buy a older gun that he had the original box for.He said the box made it worth 50 bucks more.I told him to keep the box and I would keep my 50 bucks. :) But there was no trade that day :?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts