Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day fellas
I'm looking for a nice little 22 for rabbits and a bit of fun and had my heart set on a browning bl22,
I have since seen a little model 25 for sale with very little use and in great condition made in 97,
My question is are they known to be good shooters or reliable, in other words what's their rep? Good and bad.
I really like the look of it and the price is right.
Thanks in advance and all opinions welcome,
Cheers ****

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there something wrong with my manners or way of posting but I only ever get on reply:driver:

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
There may not be very many model 25 owners. There are tons of model 60,s but I have never seen a model 25. I also own a 25MN and it is a good gun. I always prefer a box fed gun over a tube fed one and would buy a 25 over a 60 if I were needing another 22.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have 2 Glenfield model 25's from the 70's. They are very accurate guns. They shoot anything but one of mine is most accurate with CCI standard velocity and the other is about the same Mini Mags. The groups slightly open up a bit with other ammo, but never to a problem that I have missed a squirrel. OK, I've missed squirrels, but that was my fault not the gun's fault. I have Simmons 4x scope on one and the Williams dovetail receiver sight with a Marbles front sight on the other. I replaced the plastic trigger guards on both with a Model 100 trigger guard, needed a new hole to mount, but the new guard covered the old hole.

The mags are available at Midway for $20, and Numerich for $33+.

Can't go wrong with one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had 2 of them over the last 30 years, and the one I have now is a Glenfield, probably from the 1970's. They are adult size .22 bolt rifles that are known for reliability and accuracy. The trigger spring is a little heavy and some people cut a coil or two off...most just get used to it.

Many years ago, I shot targets using an Anshutz .22 rifle that was soo accurate it was boring. The Marlin 25 is NOT quite that accurate, but it is not far off and it is far, far less money and less fussy. Mine is set up with a 4x deer scope and I used it for squirrels. I have NEVER had a more accurate hunting .22. I think mine was about $80 US about 15 years ago, well used.

Buy it if you have not bought it already.

·
Registered
334 Posts
... The trigger spring is a little heavy and some people cut a coil or two off...most just get used to it....
Excellent point, I forgot. I replaced the trigger springs with pen springs, played around until I found the trigger pull I liked.

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
I have one and it is a great shooting and accurate rifle. It takes some time for people to see your post and respond. It was 4 am my time when you posted the original question.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 25 is a great shooter. After replacing the trigger spring with a ball point pen spring my trigger pull is about 2 1/2 lbs (1.13) kilos). Buy it and you will be surprised how accurate these rifle are.

Mals

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up one this weekend at a gun show here in PA for $153 with tax and background it's in prolly 95% condition. It's a nice shooter and I out just bulk blazer ammo through it and it shoots nice ragged hole at 25yds and at 50 they all touch. Mine came with a weaver 3-6 scope on it, the trigger is not so good but even so it's shooting great.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts

Here is my model 25 under my 17HMR. It was a birthday present somewhere around 1988, I just got it back from my Father inLaw. Sweet shooting little .22. I certainly wouldn't part with it again. Definitely worth what I see them going for on gunbroker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 25m in .22 mag. My dad bought it for me used in the late 80s. Its a great rifle. VERY accurate. My buddy has a 25mn in .22lr which is just as good. I like the box mag fed rifles better than tube fed, more reliability. I had a model 81 tube fed bolt action and sold it because it never fed right and always jammed.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I did the ball-point-pen spring mod, with my 25N and love it. It took some fiddling to get it just right but the trigger is now exactly how I like it. I also love the accuracy of the 25. I got very lucky and it loved cheap ammo until I replaced the barrel (which I do not recommend unless you enjoy swearing and being frustrated). Now it likes CCI standard velocity and Federal standard velocity.

If you get it, you'll love it. It takes the standard Marlin detachable magazine for .22 and you can get a 7-round or a 10-round mag. I actually load only six and it keeps the top round from scuffing the next one down. I haven't seen an accuracy issue as a result but the bullets come off the mag with a polished, flat spot on the side from the base of the previous round (only the second bullet down. Too much spring pressure on the mag maybe?)

Accuracy is wonderful. :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I just picked up one this weekend at a gun show here in PA for $153 with tax and background it's in prolly 95% condition. It's a nice shooter and I out just bulk blazer ammo through it and it shoots nice ragged hole at 25yds and at 50 they all touch. Mine came with a weaver 3-6 scope on it, the trigger is not so good but even so it's shooting great.
That's what my 25N loved back in the day :) Super cheap ammo and filthy as can be but that gun just loved them! Maybe one in a thousand were duds though. But back when I started shooting I think it was $3 for a box of 100 or you could get a brick of 500 for $10 :) I never came back with all fifty bullets still in my pocket. They were too fun!

They did eventually lead up the barrel which, in hindsight would have been easier to clean but then I would not have embarked on that three day project of barrel replacing which led to the cool and wonderfully accurate Franken-gun that I have now :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've had my 25N for about 20 years and simply love it. Get it, you won't be disapointed.

Reactions: JetBlack

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
theres a lot of info on the 25's on rimfire central, uses the same mags as the 80's.
rimfirecentral . com.
If his was made in '97, it is a 25N, and has a different magazine than the model 25, 80 and 780.
My 25 was the last full year of the 25 (non "N") that shared a magazine with 80 and 780. It's an '87.

The older models would feed and fire shorts and longs from the magazine as well as lr. The N models lost that feature. They can be fired single shot with those rounds. Other than that, they are fine shooters. Accuracy is excellent and they are not at all finicky about ammo. Shorts to hypervelocity, no problem.
The 25N was concurrent with the 880, and would share parts with it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts