Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bolt from my 1972 Model 25 was stolen. I bought a bolt that the seller said was from a Model 20, but that the bolt was the same. Numrich Gun Parts sells the same bolt for either model, so the seller must be correct.

I have two questions about this bolt:

1) The bolt doesn't quite go all the way home. It looks like it needs to go in just a couple of hundredths of an inch to close completely. I have been told that maybe the barrel end needs to be shaved just a little so the bolt can close completely. Is this correct? Or should I try to file a little bit off the slot where the bolt handle fits so that it will close?

2) The extractor on the bolt and the replacement extractor I bought from Numrich both have a tab on the left side of the extractor clip. From the wear pattern on the old extractor it looks like it should fit in a slot in the received. My rifle has no slot for the tab, and if I recall correctly, had no tab on the original extractor. Did Marlin change the extractor for the Model 25 (around 1972, I bet)? Can I remove the tab on the extractor to make it fit?

Thanks in advance,

John Snow

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'd be real careful about getting the right parts. The fit of the bolt to the barrel face in relation to the cartidge is part of headspace, a dimension critical to safe and accurate performance and function.

For instance, the bolt won't close like you say could be just the wrong bolt or insufficient headspace so the gun won't chamber a round due to improper dimensions.

If you go cutting and trimming to make it fit, you may unknowingly take too much off and have excessive headspace resulting in burst cases, hot gas in the face, or other problems not the least of which would be poor performance. The bolt handle is the wrong place to adjust the headspace on a rifle. This should be done at the face of the barrel at the chamber end. But, this will also alter the chamber size possibly making it out of size, requiring rechambering. Too many problems.

I say send the parts back and get the right part or, return the gun to Marlin and have them repair it. Same thing for the extractor, get the right part and be sure. The 25 is still made, Marlin can make it right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a whole bin full of wrong parts collected over the years from Gun Parts Co. They are the last place check for a part. With the return shipping and restocking fee they charge, it's hardly worth sending them back as I will eventually use them. Jack First in Rapid City S.D. is a far better choice. I don't recall the 25 for sure at this moment but there are several things you can check. If the extractors have enough length to work without the tab, remove them. You have enough chamber space to file back the face of the chamber to make the bolt close but do it a bit at a time. It's harder to put metal back that to remove it. The biggest problem I think you will have is the extractor slots in the bbl. They will have to be recut back to the chamber mouth in order for the ext to get a good bite on the rim. On the other hand, if your bbl is recessed for the cart rim, instead of the bolt face, this is a different matter. As posted above, cutting the bolt slot is not a good idea in most cases. It may reposition your trigger and sear assembly on the bolt as well as maybe making your safety not funciton correctly. Working on te bbl is far better, faster and more sure. If I can help, contact at the link below.

www.martincustom.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts