Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a model 1898 with the factory engraving on it from a yard sale and I want to restore it. It is missing the checked wood forearm and wondering if anyone knows where I could get one. Also, any idea on the manufacture date - the serial numbers are 16341 F and 18341.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I didn't know that any of the Disney characters did "gunsmithing". I think that Mickey and Goofy worked on your shotgun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well no matter how goofy it is the price was right - only paid $10 for it. Just want to make it right.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I just visited the big gun auction site and did a search for Marlin 1898. You will find your forearm slide and a nice buttstock. There is no forearm wood listed. However, there are a few full shotguns for some pretty low prices. If you're serious about the project, you could buy one of those, have the forearm copied, then resell it. Alternatively, you could keep checking various internet sites for as long as it takes to find one.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Have any wood working or machinist friends? That forearm shouldn't be too hard to make a replacement for if you are unable to purchase one.

I like it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like you can get a new one from Macon Gunstocks for $75 - but doesn't look like you can get one that has the checking that this grade "C" shotgun originally had. I may just keep looking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts