Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were these made to fire 22 shorts only or did they all fire shorts, longs and long rifle ammo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, they fire them all.
I don't believe Marlin made a '22 short only' version.

Do you have one?

If you got a line on one, swoop it up.

If your not interested, I AM! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
450, yes I do. What's a fair price for one in average condition? Serial # 179xxx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
Looks like it was made in 1983.
What is 'fair condition'? How beat up is it?

I can relieve you of that poor, beat up, useless rifle for $100! ;D

The ones I have seen are commemorative something or others and usually command a pretty good price.

I'm no expert - maybe one of the other guys on here can advise you.

You know the old saying - 'a picture is worth 1000 words'.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,018 Posts
Hey there shawlerbrook -- Marlin introduced the 1897 rifle in 1897. It would shoot shorts, longs, and long rifle ammunition. Stick with standard velocity ammunition and it should be fine to shoot if it's mechanically sound. That rifle may date to 1899. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
455 Posts
Wind said:
Hey there shawlerbrook -- Marlin introduced the 1897 rifle in 1897. It would shoot shorts, longs, and long rifle ammunition. That rifle may date to 1899. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
Just to add, to what Wind said, Marlin only made 1 rifle that was 22short/CB cap dedicated. It was the Model 25 pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all the help. It's not mine yet, but hopefully that will change in the near future. I'll keep ya posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
jdad said:
Just to add, to what Wind said, Marlin only made 1 rifle that was 22short/CB cap dedicated. It was the Model 25 pump.
My neighbor/co-worker down the street has one................I don't remember if it's a Marlin or Remington, but it's a pump that only shoots shorts.
I think he wanted $700 for it, and it's in great shape for how old it is.

Other than nostalgia, I really have no use for it.

:-\
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
953 Posts
Sometimes the Marlin Model 1897 is a little confusing. The Model 1897 originally came out in 1897 and it was chambered in .22 rimfire and in .32. The .32 could be either rimfire or centerfire with a change of the firing pin. The .22 should only be shot with standard velocity (or lower) ammunition because of the bolt. Somewhere in the early 1900's, the model designation was changed to the Model '97.

Then, in 1987 Marlin came out with the Model 1897 Century. It is a commemorative version to denote the 100 year anniversary of the design. It is really a Model 39 that is made to look like a Model 1897. Following the 1897 Century, Marlin also came out with the 1897 Annie Oakley, Cowboy, and Texan. Again, these were Model 39 actions, so they are not limited to standard velocity loadings.

Original 1897 values vary greatly depending upon the caliber, features and condition of the rifle. One of the best way to get an idea of the value is to go to Gunbroker, Auction Arms, Guns America or any of the other auction sights and see what is being asked for them. Oh, but keep in mind that what you see is the asking price and not necessarily what they are selling for. Still, it's good for getting an idea of the value.

Hope this helps,
-Bob George
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
455 Posts
Sorry, but the 1897 was only offered in 22 caliber. The 1891/1892 was offered in 32 as well as 22.

All 39"A" variations, 1897 Centruy, Annie Oakley, Cowboy, Texan, etc were/are 39"A"'s, with a few cosmetic, marketing, changes. Big difference, in receivers, between a 39 and 39A.


Bruiser said:
Sometimes the Marlin Model 1897 is a little confusing. The Model 1897 originally came out in 1897 and it was chambered in .22 rimfire and in .32. The .32 could be either rimfire or centerfire with a change of the firing pin. The .22 should only be shot with standard velocity (or lower) ammunition because of the bolt. Somewhere in the early 1900's, the model designation was changed to the Model '97.

Then, in 1987 Marlin came out with the Model 1897 Century. It is a commemorative version to denote the 100 year anniversary of the design. It is really a Model 39 that is made to look like a Model 1897. Following the 1897 Century, Marlin also came out with the 1897 Annie Oakley, Cowboy, and Texan. Again, these were Model 39 actions, so they are not limited to standard velocity loadings.

Original 1897 values vary greatly depending upon the caliber, features and condition of the rifle. One of the best way to get an idea of the value is to go to Gunbroker, Auction Arms, Guns America or any of the other auction sights and see what is being asked for them. Oh, but keep in mind that what you see is the asking price and not necessarily what they are selling for. Still, it's good for getting an idea of the value.

Hope this helps,
-Bob George
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top