Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found it interesting to read in the book: Marlin Firearms: a history of the guns and the company that made them: By William S. Brophy
That the Marlin model 1895 was originally designed and patented By Lewis Hepburn who was residing in Ilion New york and employed by Remington at the time.

This is my first post here so I would like to say Hello to everyone
I am a long time hunter and firearm enthusiast from Colorado and have just last week ordered what would have been my first Marlin (an SBL) but of course it will be a Remington.
I should have it in the next couple days and am hoping for the best but much of what I am hearing does not play well.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Re: Marlin model 1895 originally desigened by Remington designer in Ilion New York ?

Interesting...

Marlin goes back to its roots? ;D ;)

In those days...Remington was still a name to be proud of!!! Too bad thats not so true today...

Welcome to Marlin Owners :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Marlin model 1895 originally desigened by Remington designer in Ilion New York ?

Ridgerunner665 said:
Interesting...

In those days...Remington was still a name to be proud of!!! Too bad thats not so true today...

The book does say that Remington was bankrupt at that time.
Thanks for the welcome I like the forums here. lots of good info

·
Registered
4,169 Posts

harry otool said:
The book does say that Remington was bankrupt at that time.
But they got it back together...as they have done a few times. (Hopefully they have at least one more round in them)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome fhmusa
I'll let you know what I end up with as far as quality.
Its funny how things went....I did not know of all the problems with the new rifles until after I ordered the SBL. I really liked the looks of the SBL and did some searches for reviews and everything sounded pretty good. Two days after I placed the order I found some info about guide gun barrels being cobbled onto SBL rifles.
I looked at the photos on the dealers web site and low and behold the rifle pictured had two dove tails in the barrel. I called them right away to see if it had shipped and it was already on its way so it was to late to cancel but they did say that the photo was just representative and the recent rifles were not like that.
If I had known about what was going on at remington I would never have ordered the rifle. My local ffl only works part time and I'm sure he probably has the rifle by now but hasn't gotten around to calling me. The dealer I ordered it from is onlinegundeals.com

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I received the rifle today and I'm feeling pretty bad about my investment. Worst money I've spent in a long time. There is a piece of wood about 1/6" x 1/2" missing from the muzzle end of the forearm next to the barrel, a big gouge in the end cap from what appears to be a screwdriver slipping off a screw, five small dings on the right side of the stock, and worst of all it does not want to feed or eject ammo. I have not shot the rifle but I did try to cycle new ammo and the rounds that actually manage to chamber have the brass shredded beyond belief . (There would be little chance of reloading anything that had been chewed up by this one.) The action sticks hard when the lever is closed, The fit of the stock to the receiver is really not bad at all and most of the exterior metal finish is decent but the rifle just does not feel good to me... maybe its the action or maybe its the sick feeling in my stomach but....well for lack of a better word it just feels cheesy.

I intend to send it back for repair but do not want to pay shipping for a brand new rifle.
How do I go about requesting them to pay for the shipping?

I forgot to mention that the barrel does not have the extra dove tail and is marked 1895 SBL, it is marked North Haven CT but does not have JM on the left or REP on the right, it is missing the trademark bullseye on the stock and obviously looks to be the work of remington. serial number- MR011###

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I thought rifles suppose to be test fired at the factory! ::) Apparently not cause these issues would have been noticed. ???Or worse,were noticed but they shipped it anyway. :mad:Whether they test fired it or not,it should have not left the plant on the visual defects alone. :pI would go for a full refund.I hate to say it,but it looks like the fat lady is singin. :'(

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good ole boy said:
I thought rifles suppose to be test fired at the factory! ::) Apparently not cause these issues would have been noticed. ???Or worse,were noticed but they shipped it anyway. :mad:Whether they test fired it or not,it should have not left the plant on the visual defects alone. :pI would go for a full refund.I hate to say it,but it looks like the fat lady is singin. :'(
Yes.... there is no way the people building these rifles could not notice the damage and poor workmanship they did with their own hands.
Bottom line is they don't care...... at all.... and the fact that they continue to get away with putting out this kind of trash speaks volumes about the management as well. Must be a wonderful place to work. Can you imagine the attitudes, can you imagine the feeling of accomplishment you would have after a long days work churning out a product like this?
Think of the long term damage to any potential repeat customers and their reputation.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Harry welcome to the club and sorry to hear this... my GBL has a similar feeding problem... mine has an out of spec carrier and was out of time. It has been at the repair center since 22 Feb waiting...mine did not have those glaring cosmetic issues... if you are going to try and having it fixed you might try seeing if who you ordered it from will help you out... my local shop sent it back for me no charge.... good luck ... I thought they test fired them as well guess not... I know my police special glock came with two sent casings as proof.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Ridgerunner665 said:
Interesting...

I dont see any problems with Remington except the whole Remlin thing
Have never seen a "bad" Remington product in my life, even a dud in as little as a .22 LR cartridge

·
Registered
88 Posts
Those militarized 700's the army uses for snipers have been nail drivers for years, Marines use them as well I believe... course that doesn't qualify them to produce lever actions I guess... :'(

·
Registered
846 Posts
GAV196CAV! I'm not going to Chastise You for what You say about Remington because Remington has made some real fine rifles over the years and I own some good ones, mostly 60's and 70's and they didn't get any better than that BUT! the CRAP that they are putting out now is TERRABLE!! The gun shop I deal with had to send SIX back due to bad workmanship and two wouldn't even chamber a shell so I think they are having a problem big time! and I'M really sure that it is the new owners trying to cut costs and speed production that is causing the problem, maybe You haven't seen it yet but You Will if You buy anything new. Dennis

·
Registered
215 Posts
i was looking into a new remington/marlin i really want a 44mag can you post a pic of your new gun and show some of the problems

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey no biggie, I know for sure they can't seem to get their heads around a leveraction as my missing in action GBL will attest..can't say that I've ever actually owned a Rem... only personal experience I have with them are the Army's M24's and 870 riot guns, both of which are pretty good shooters and reliable.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deano.1481 said:
i was looking into a new remington/marlin i really want a 44mag can you post a pic of your new gun and show some of the problems
Hey Deano.1481 Sorry about the slow response but I couldn't figure out how to resize the photos to post them here
The rifle will not feed ammo without chewing up the brass shell cases and then wont extract most of the time.
I am not much of a photographer but did the best I could.
The first photo shows a dent in the scope rail with the black finish missing.
The second shows wood missing from the forearm next to the barrel.
I will have to post the other 2 photos in another post.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Deano.1481 said:
The first photo shows the gouge in the forearm tip.
The second photo shows a dent and several smaller dings in the buttstock.
Sorry about using two posts but I'm am a computer idiot :-[

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Wow, the screw hole looks chewed up as well. I suggest a refund and looking for what you want on gunbroker, or gunsamerica.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts