Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early Marlin Model 1893 Lever Action Rifle – .25-36 caliber – 25 1/2" Octagon Barrel - SN 131232 manufactured in 1898. Great bore and action. Metal is very good overall with sharp lettering and markings - barrel retains most blue - magazine tube has most blue with slight thinning. Receiver and hammer retain bright case color Left side of receiver has lightly etched social security# (my deceased Great Uncle) that can be removed professionally. Wood is very good and showing only a few dings and light surface marks from normal handling, with the exception of a thin sliver of wood missing between rear sling mount and shoulder butt plate, and retains most of its' original finish. It is a very sharp and well maintained 116 year old Marlin all original (except added sling and social security #) in very good condition.

Questions are what is it worth and how best to sell it?

marlin ss full shot left side.jpg
marlin ss full shot right side.JPG
marlin ss left side receiver only.jpg
marlin ss close up receiver right side lever open.JPG
marlin receiver close up right side.jpg

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Not a bad looking 1893! the etching and sling hurt a little. The 25-36 cal is a plus. I would say around 800-1000. Being its pre 1899, you can sell to non FFL. I would sell it on GunBroker.com, and start it at a price your happy with and you might get lucky and it goes higher!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
That serial number will really hurt. The sling, not so much. I agree with cj57 on value, and where to sell. Only problem you might have with one of the online auctions is if you've never sold there. Many people don't like buying from a seller with zero sales history, or low sales history. Might find a consignor with good history, and let him sell for you. I've never sold at an online auction, but I use a consignor with thousands of positive sales, and after paying his 15% commission, I still end up with what I wanted or more occasionally.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Never have figured out why guys put their SS number on guns for, Dad did several of his that way for some reason. A thief aint gonna care one way or the other if a guys SS N or name is on a gun, he aint stealing it too collect. But it sure was popular thing to do at one time.

Kind of like getting a tattoo on ones chest of his first love. Seems smart at the time I guess? :biggrin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts