Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I posted this in the 1894 area then decided it may be more prevelant here, so this is a duplicte.

Forgive and help a newbie with some questions please>

First off I would like to say hi my name is Michael and I have a newly aquired Marlin addiction. I am a member of castboolits and I was referred here, This my third marlin CF, and I only like the older ones preferably non micro grooved, but my444S is microed and I am beginning to like it more and more, so my opinion may well be changing.

At any rate the post that led me here:

Today I bought an old marlin model 94 in 44-40 and I have a few questions.

The gun has an odd cutout on the right hand side of the forearm about 2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide.. what was that for? I was thinking some kind of scabbord clip, it looks alot like the cutout on a 30 carbines barrel band retainer thingy attachment area that is in their forearm.

It also has a weird scallopped line running lengthwise dead center the length of the underside of the forearm about 1/4 inch wide, what is that for, never seen it before.

The steel wrapover butt plate has U.S on it, was this a military gun?

The gun looks to have been reblued, but unsure, and has a dovetail filled in at the muzzle where the mag would normally attach, and it only has a half to 3/4 magazine. Has it been altered?

Has a real neat buckhorn type flip up rear sight that looks like it belongs, and the reciever has two holes tapped in the top of it, whith blind screws installed.

Overall it is great condition the bore is great looking, but it may have been reblued(stamping of pat dates is awfully light) and at one point the stock has has some beautiful TLC on the finish.

That is all I know, thus far.....serial is #4386**

I have never handloaded for this cartridge and know very little about it or the gun so any data, history, suggestions for projectiles and the such would be appreciated..I will have to get brass also, know a good place?..

alot of questions I realize, but any help will be apreciated, the only thing I really know about this marlin is that I would cease to breathe if I did not have it.

There it is :any help for a newbie?

thanks
Michael

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I'm no expert by a long shot but would be inclined to say your gun has been personalised so to speak, quite a bit. Perhaps someone had a sling attached where the wood is cut, the cut underneath beats me & same with the "US" on the buttplate.
The dovetail under the muzzle was for the magazine.
If it was me, since its not IMHO very original, I think I might be inclined to replace the wood & magazine.
Not that you have to, its yours & if it shoots & you like it as is then I guess your all set! :D

Congratulations! I'd like to run across one! :wink:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would agree with Leverdude that that one has been "personalized". That buttplate might not even be original to the rifle. There are a couple places that you can get original contour wood for it, if you're inclined to.
I'd love to find an 1894 in 38-40 myself. Oh, well, one of these days......Buck 8) :roll: :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Sounds like it is somewhat altered as pertains to the stock. It's quite possible that the wood was a donor piece from a military surplus firearm that was fitted to this old Marlin. A lot of military stocks have enough extra wood that they can be trimmed down to work on an 1894 frame, and this may be your answer.
There were 1894 muskets designed to be sold to military, but none were ever purchased by the US Govt. All of them went to small police or prison use.
The serial number of your gun is beyond those in Marlin records, as they don't exist after @355,500 in 1906. I would estimate your gun was made around 1913-15.
The flip up sight sounds like a carbine sight, as used on Marlin carbines. You didn't say if your gun was octagon or round, and what length the barrel was, so can't say if it was originally a carbine or not. The shortened mag tube, with dovetail filled would not have been done at Marlin, but rather sometime later in life.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

I believe it was a longer barrelled custom length model that someone simply cut down to 24 inches ( no doubt the barrel has been chopped) and must have replaced the wood with a chunk of 30 carbine that they laminated together. The barrel is round and blued as is everything else. As far as the buttplate, That is still a mystery, It just looks as if it belongs there, and I feel it does, but have no way to prove/disprove to myself whether it does or not. They also shortened or (changed the mag).
I now believe it to be the original bluing, because I looked at the roll stamping on some of his original older models that he has owned since new, and they are light too. He picked my gun up at an auction alot of years ago in the condition it is now, said he never even fired it.

I did end up getting a new book out of the deal, as a bonus

Marlin firearms, A history of the Guns and the company that made them, by Lt.Col William S Brophy (Hardcover with jacket)

cool book, and so far a great read, but it leads me to another Question.. It says on the first page that it is one of one thousand, What did I trip over here? It is pristine like brand new... It was free.. from the last owner of the model 94 frankenlever....he had three of em.

Michael

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Bill's book has gone through several "limited" printings. If your book has the first edition brown cloth cover, and is signed by Bill, it is a true collectable, and should be cared for, or not used at all.
If it's the dark blue cloth, then it's one of the later versions, and not really specail, unless it too was autographed. These later autographed copies are still nice to have, but not nearly as desireable or collectable.
I have Bill's original brown autographed put away, and bought a dark blue second printing from him later to use. It sits near my computer all the time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The book is reddish brown cloth, and was in a walmart type plstic bag, it is as new, and signed. Found a good'en there huh?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts