Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys here is my question:
are these 39AWL rifles ever going to be worth anything? I bought one several years ago at Walmart. It is NIB and I have the store poster.

The rifle is just begging to be shot, and my thought is that if it is not going to be worth much more than I gave for it, at least in my life time, then it should be shot and enjoyed, not just sitting in the box. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
461 Posts
The 39AWL's were made the same year as the 1897 Century Limited and practically look the same. One big advantage that the 39AWL has over the 1897 CNLTD is that there are only 2,000 AWL's compared to the 2,500 CNLTD's made.

I have both and am disappointed in the craftsmanship of either rifle. I just can' get past not liking the roll stamp engraving on those guns. I might be asking too much from Marlin on their 39A receivers, but I know they can do much better.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I hear ya - When I bought mine, a certified, documented, official Marlin collector, who had not been able to get one near home, and drove over an hour to get the one I got - and I beat him by about 10 minutes. He was pretty sore, and I figured from that reaction, there would be a little interest, but man, sure seems dead. I've actually been watching those for sale on the slight chance one might be a consecutive match to one of the two I have. I figure a consecutive pair would be pretty cool.

Lately, I've seen a few sell for less than the 750 we paid..... :roll:

Shum8

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried doing a search and didnt come up with any thing much in the way of their value. I had seen where some one bought one for under 600.00. I'd bend it around a tree before I would give it away. I'm thinking it is going to get shot, maby 50 years from now it may be worth something.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Big Medicine -

Just out of curiosity, would yours be consecutive with either 1999 or 1635?

Shum8

·
Registered
579 Posts
Shum8, I wondered who bought all those weird Marlins that show up at Peters Creek! Have you bought any of the 1895 45-70's they've had? moodyholler

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Moody -
To tell you the truth, I haven't been by there in months.....sounds like I need a trip out there....

Shum8

·
Registered
579 Posts
Bought anything good lately? I traded for a decent 39A Saturday plus a type 99 JAP with bayonet. Also traded for a 29 Marlin pump 22 last week. Slow otherwise. moodyholler

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shum8,
Nope not close to either..sorry.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I hate to say this, but out west I see both the CTLD, and AWL going in the $550-$650 range. On rare occasion, I've even seen them go $500! I too thought they would drop at first, but then go up in value. The opposite happened. They went up over the retail prices, and then started a gradual tailspin. I do think they're as low as they will go, and I also think they'll go up. The question is, how long will it take?
The model 1894 and 1895 CTLD's have both gone up over the original price, and stayed there. Not sure why the little 39a didn't do the same, but I'd guess Marlin*man is on the right track, the rollstamped engraving is not as nice as that of the 1894 and 1895.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
moodyholler said:
Bought anything good lately? I traded for a decent 39A Saturday plus a type 99 JAP with bayonet. Also traded for a 29 Marlin pump 22 last week. Slow otherwise. moodyholler
Nah - Been concentrating on the duplicator. Well, no, I lied - Dang, I've been kinda distracted with that contraption and almost forgot about the new adition. Picked up a Ruger No.1B in 223 with a better than normal piece of wood on it, and found a 24x Leupold for 275.......Couldn't turn either down. Dang - I'm such a sucker for a No.1.......As soon as I can lay my hands on a spare breech block, I want to convert one to 22LR. I have GOT to hit the lottery and quit work - cuts into my time too much :wink:

Shum8

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Shum8, There's been a guy advertising that he wants to trade a rimfire #1 breechblock for a centerfire #1 breechblock, in the Single Shot Exchange. If you're interested, I can look for the ad, and email you the info.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
If'n you don't mind - that may be a workable fix.

Thanky all to pieces.........

Shum8

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Hey Moody -
Inbound PM...........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts