Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I have the the chance to buy a Marlin mod 1895. There are two of them but I can only afford one. I have to choose with a take down in caliber
38-56 and a Carbine in caliber 45-90. I think I will buy the carbine.
The condition are about the same.

The serial number on the Carbine is 138438. Is it correct to say that it was manufactured about 1896? Are there any special places I shall look at to see that it is a real Carbine? Perhaps it is best to try to buy a factory letter? Any advice at all from you guys are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Says
Hombre
Sweden

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
That date should be correct, or very close. The carbine has two bands, one around the forearm, and by the front sight. Because of the lighter, shorter barrel on the carbine, and unique front sight, they would be tough to fake. Spare barrels for a model 1895 would be tough to find, too, so not the easiest gun to make up.
I'd just look to be sure it all matched age wise, and that the buttstock was serial numbered to the receiver. The serial# is marked under the top tang on the buttstock. Also be sure the carbine has the correct buttplate that wraps up over the top of the buttstock, and it stamped flat steel material.
Either gun is a great choice, and both are rare here.

·
Registered
267 Posts
May have to pack my bags and move to sweden, always liked the girls and now they have marlins! Good luck on your purchase and say hi to the bikini team.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello guys,
Thank you very much for the help.
Is it possible to find out how many 1895 carbines that were manufactured in caliber 45-90?
I guess, that a factory letter is the only way to be 100 % sure that everyting is correct and also to know when the gun was shipped, right?
Once again, thanks for the help. I really appreciated it.
As for you oodmoff, the girls are waiting!
Says,
Hombre
Sweden

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Records for the models 1893, 1894, 1895, and 1897 are incomplete, as these models continued after 1906 when Marlin stopped keeping records. No way to confirm or guess how many were made. Model 1895's have been surmised to have been made in numbers of about 10,000, and not many carbines are found, so the percentages are quite low.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello again guys,

Thank you very much for your help Marlinman. I just wish that I could have a little bit of your knowledge when it comes to Marlin rifles. Then I should be content.

What do you think about a factory letter on that mod 1895 Carbine?
What should you do if you were me?

By the way, I must tell you guys that I was able to buy that Mod 1895 takedown also. I don´t know if the guy felt sorry for me but he made me an offer I couldn´t refuse. Well I am so happy for my rifles.

Once again, thanks for the help
Says,
Hombre
Sweden

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
If it were me, I'd do one of two things. Either join the Marlin Firearms Collectors Assn, and get the info free from the secretary, or not worry about it, and enjoy the guns.
Joining MFCA is cheaper than even one letter!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two Swedish 1895s

Hombre,

I just recently was pointed toward this site after importing a Marlin 1895 from Sweden.

I was fortunate enough to also buy a 45-90 and am very happy with it. My rifle is an oct/round 26 in. barrel with shotgun stock. Also imported a Win 1894 TD in 32-40, but not nearly as nice as the Marlin.

I will letter the gun, but it is interesting that so many big bores ended up in Scandinavia.

Emer!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two Swedish 1895s

Hombre,

I just recently was pointed toward this site after importing a Marlin 1895 from Sweden.

I was fortunate enough to also buy a 45-90 and am very happy with it. My rifle is an oct/round 26 in. barrel with shotgun stock. Also imported a Win 1894 TD in 32-40, but not nearly as nice as the Marlin.

I will letter the gun, but it is interesting that so many big bores ended up in Scandinavia.

Emer!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Emer!
I don´t know why but when it comes to Winchester Mod 1886s and Marlin Mod 1895s I have seen many in caliber 45-90 but so very few in 45-70. I don´t have any answer on that.

Many people from here emigrated to the U.S in the end of 1800 and the beginning of 1900 and when they were visiting their old home country the probable bring rifles with them as gifts but well, that doesn´t explain the 45-70 and 45-90 issue.

Regards,
Hombre

1 - 11 of 11 Posts